Font Problems, Unix Executable file???

K

keithkid

I was just upgraded to a G5 running OS 10.4 from a G4 running 10.3.8

I backed up all my files on a server and now when I go to open a few projects, the fonts that were collected are gone! Well... Not completely gone but close....

All my fonts are coming up with a blank icon, ZeroK and are labeled as Unix Executable file.

ANy advise?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Did you backup to network storage? Is it a mixed platform network? Were you using a Buffalo storage device?

Sounds familiar to me. Buffalo was no help when I called them. You'll have to recopy the correct fonts to the folders were they once were. Not a good thing.

OP
K

keithkid

MacsWork said:
Did you backup to network storage? Is it a mixed platform network? Were you using a Buffalo storage device?

Sounds familiar to me. Buffalo was no help when I called them. You'll have to recopy the correct fonts to the folders were they once were. Not a good thing.

Yea... That is what I had to do. But now I haft to do it with all my projects. I have 1000s of projects saved onto this server (PC Platform) that go back for years. I work for a major company and I have a whole team that is struggling with this problem. I can't believe that Apple would allow this to happen. I should be able to read these fonts under any circumstance. Even if it is compressed and archived onto a PC Platform. Especially since the projects were built under Mac Operating Systems. The projects were compressed in Stuffit and have always been archived to this server. My group has never had this problem in the past... VERY FRUSTRATING.

Any help would be much appreciated. (Even our tech deparment cvacn't figure it out).

OP
K

keithkid

Ok... I guess everything has to have an extension now or be compressed. This acts as a sheild against the Cross platform networking. I was told that it has to do with a protocol that PC uses when items are copied to the pc server... If the item is coming from a mac then the pc will strip the file of all its information unless it is sheilded by compression or an extenison.

Sheild against pc networks.... Sounds like a video game. Stupid, so freakin stupid. I hate to be bittter about this but it just seems like something that should have been prevented by Apple Os and/or PC Os.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.