Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Invalid volume file count
(It should be 887478 instead of 887548)
Invalid volume directory count
(It should be 216146 instead of 216076)
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed."

Here's a screen shot:
Picture 2.png

Now what do I do? I ran the disk utility because sometimes my macbook pro makes static noises. I'd say it was the hard drive, but mac's are supposed to be invincible. My baby is 4 years old. I tried backing it up for the first time 3 weeks ago, but time machine fails every time. Need. Help. From. Smart. People.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forums.

What i suggest you do, is to download Titanium's Software ~ Oynx. Making sure you get the exact version you need for your Mac’sOS and run all the scripts it has to offer. Then go back to DU and see if the problem still arises.

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Were you running Disk Utility with the hard drive mounted? In other words, not booting from your install DVD and run Disk Utility direct that way? The reason I ask is the SMART status is OK for your drive. It's just the directory count that's off. That's an easy fix for Disk Utility but you can't do it while the drive is mounted. Boot from your install DVD, run Disk Utility and repair from there. Reboot and start making backups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.