Is there any way to limit Facebook use on iPad and iPhone?

Reaction score
I use "Stayfocused" on my Macbook, but it's a Google Chrome extension and Chrome isn't supported for mobile platforms.

Likewise with "Leechblock", a Firefox extension. Good for Macbook, but apparently not supported for iPad/ iPhone.

I can't find any apps in the store that limit Facebook.

Surely there must be something I'm missing? I imagine I'm not the only one searching for something like this. There are dozens of versions of this idea available for desktop, but they're not much use if you can circumvent them just by picking up the phone or iPad. Any tips gratefully appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hold down the FB icon until it starts to shake, then hit the x and delete it. Sure way of limiting FB usage, or be a lot more diciplined in your surfing habits :)

C

chas_m

I'm clearly an old man who doesn't get the kids of today, so take everything I'm about to say with that in mind (and it's meant in the friendliest possible way!) but -- there is no app to fill in for a lack of discipline or focus. These are qualities you will have to develop yourself.

I say this as someone who is very easily distractable AND I'm on FB, so I do understand of whence you speak. If you feel that your inability to stay off FB is a symptom of some actual medical condition (like *actual* Adult Attention Deficit Disorder) then of course I'd suggest you get some guidance on this from a professional, but otherwise I'm going to second Tattooed's suggestion and encourage you to use a "cold turkey" or "reward" system or whatever works to help you to put FB use into its proper perspective in your life. Good luck!

OP
K
Reaction score
Thank you for the kind tone of your reply, chas_m.

I don't have ADD. Just a regular person who finds the "5 minutes here, 10 minutes there" throughout the day adding up to a lot of wasted time. A simple solution would be a time limiter that blocks FB after, say, a 20 minute time limit is reached.

You're right, of course, that self-control is the best remedy. And I guess if we all had the ability to be perfectly laser-focussed at every moment of the day, there wouldn't be any productivity apps on the marketplace, or any need for self-help books about time management, organisational systems, etc.

I could delete FB, but like many others, I enjoy using it in small doses.

I do appreciate the life advice, although I am still interested to hear if anyone is able to answer my question about whether a product like this is available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
OP
K
Reaction score
TattooedMac: So I guess the answer to my actual question is "no", then. Or at least, not as far as you're aware.

I did ask a technical question, not a philosophical one. But I thank you for your kind efforts to help me better manage my life. (!)

Incidentally, there are plenty of apps that do just that, help with discipline and focus - just none I can find for a mobile platform. The desktop versions have been used and lauded by plenty of high-profile people who've experienced success across many fields. Check out StayFocused - it's fantastic. You can use it to block any number of preselected sites at specific times - say, forums, if you find you're ever distracted by such things... not that I imagine you would ever have that problem... ;-)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.