Someone else's computer display on mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 2.0Ghz 1GB || MBP 2.0GhzCDuo 2GB || TV || iPhone || Airport Extreme
sorry about the subject I don't know how to describe it. But...The other day I was talking to a friend that lives quite a distance from me. He told me he was having some problems with his powerbook G4. I asked him what the problem was and he went on and on. I told him I could fix it and if we could bring his computer to me I'd like to show him a couple things. He told me that we could both stay where we were (on different parts of the country) and I could control his computer. He said I could have his screen come up on mine and I could use my mouse and control what was happening on his. During this, he could watch everything i'm doing. Is this a load of crap or can you actually do this? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
yes u can

MacGuy18 said:
sorry about the subject I don't know how to describe it. But...The other day I was talking to a friend that lives quite a distance from me. He told me he was having some problems with his powerbook G4. I asked him what the problem was and he went on and on. I told him I could fix it and if we could bring his computer to me I'd like to show him a couple things. He told me that we could both stay where we were (on different parts of the country) and I could control his computer. He said I could have his screen come up on mine and I could use my mouse and control what was happening on his. During this, he could watch everything i'm doing. Is this a load of crap or can you actually do this? Thanks in advance.

yes u can do this over the net - idealy broadband - but i am not sure which programs do it.

you could ask this question again in other areas - e.g -

"WHAT PROGRAM CAN I USE TO CONTROL MY FRIENDS POWERBOOK G4 OVER THE NET" or something like that.

hope this helps

chris tm

Reaction score
I know it's possible to log into his computer and open his files but I've never heard of any program that would allow him to watch what your doing, not visually. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
its called VNC (virtual network computer) origionally developed by at&t its very popular, and it works cross platform, there are many clients out there that work for macs.
but I use:
VNCThing (viewer)
OSXvnc (server)

if you have a windows machine then realvnc.com has clients for windows machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Look up "Chicken of the VNC", works perfectly, quickly, and it's free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.