Optical Bay and Boot Problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13' Retina Late 2013, 8Gb RAM, 256GB SSD // Iphone 6 // Mac Pro 3.1
Hello

I buy a Optical Bay Caddy and a samsung ssd. I tucked the ssd in the optical bay and left the place in his normal hdd. The ssd OS and got the hdd with DATA. My problem is that when the battery runs out and my macbook goes completely down, it does not start to the login recovery as I used to. What it does is boot normally. What is the problem, have a solution? Or I have to change my hard drives? Because when I change position already works well. The problem is that the hdd makes a lot of noise in the optical bay caddy, is a 7200 rpm drive and it gets annoying.

Thanks, Rui Azevedo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Perhaps the SSD should be the boot drive and installed in the hard drive space on your MBP permanently. The hard drive connection speed is SATA 1.5GB/s where the optical drive is IDE and much, much slower at 66MHz. Did you run a SATA cable into the optical drive caddy? Your other option is pop the opticasl drive back in and get a FW800 external case for the 7200rpm HDD.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13' Retina Late 2013, 8Gb RAM, 256GB SSD // Iphone 6 // Mac Pro 3.1
I run with cable SATA. I don't see if change the speed of read/write in optical drive caddy. I understand your idea but in my case i prefer have two hard drivers internal. Anyone have my problem with two hard drive on macbook pro mid 2010 ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.