Logic Board Failure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
I have a question for you guys. I'm into parting out/fixing macs and I have someone offering me their '09 13.3 inch MBP for 275. He said that he isn't sure what is wrong with it - it starts the boot sequence but nothing happens (I am waiting on clarification as to WHAT does happen). He said there is no water damage etc. and that it worked perfectly before this. To me this sounds like a failed Logic Board - I don't know what else it could be. If so, I'm not willing to pay 275 for a MBP w/ a failed logic board. Would anyone here have an idea as to what else it may be?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What he told you could mean many things. Until you personally check it out for yourself, anything from us is an educated guess at best. It could be anything from a bad hard drive to a defective logic board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As chscag advises. If it is the logic board just not worth that money. A used board, if you find one in A1 condition will set you back a couple of hundred. If you go this way make sure you get the correct part number.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I may not purchase a logic board for it - I might part it out. I'm waiting on more info on here to see what you guys think. I would imagine that if it was the HD - it would boot up correctly and display a "?" mark, correct?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a question for you guys. I'm into parting out/fixing macs and I have someone offering me their '09 13.3 inch MBP for 275. He said that he isn't sure what is wrong with it - it starts the boot sequence but nothing happens (I am waiting on clarification as to WHAT does happen). He said there is no water damage etc. and that it worked perfectly before this. To me this sounds like a failed Logic Board - I don't know what else it could be. If so, I'm not willing to pay 275 for a MBP w/ a failed logic board. Would anyone here have an idea as to what else it may be?

Let me give you a piece of advice regarding buying used/broken computers. MANY folks selling used-broken computers know a heck of a lot more about the broken computer than they pretend to. They know how it happened...they know what caused it...and they know what the computer does do & doesn't do.

As I said...many folks do know more than they say that they do. Some sellers may really be "clueless"...but many aren't.;)

If you want to test this computer a bit further...go check the computer out, and bring either an external hard drive with a bootable OS on it (a version this computer can run)...and/or bring an OS install DVD to boot the computer from via it's optical drive. If the computers logic board is fine...it should boot from either of these without a problem.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I realize that some people play dumb. I like the idea of using an install disc to boot and see if it works. I will try and meet with him this next week - If I get any more information regarding this computer I will post it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.