Questions about User Accounts & Mac Networks

Reaction score
Hello, I'm setting up a small media lab with 2 macs, several printers, scanners, video capture equipment, etc. & have a couple questions:

1) NETWORKING: What is the best way to network two Macs? I'm assuming in my case I can get away without a server and probably do something like this: How to Create a Wireless Ad-Hoc Network between Macs - Video - For Dummies
- Also, if the same 2-4 people will use these machines but not all at the same time, should I just have duplicate user accounts on both machines?
- Also, I've seen something about external/mobile accounts. Is that something I should know about?

2) PROTECTING FOLDERS: If I have a few standard user accounts on a Mac and I'm logged in under one account, can I see the folders of the other users? If so, can I block access to seeing other user's folders?
- What about on an external drive? Can I somehow protect one user's folders from another, even if someone disconnected the drive and reattached it to another Mac?

Thanks in Advance!

J.M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
1) NETWORKING: What is the best way to network two Macs?
I'd get a router and a NAS drive.
You can connect the Macs, printers and NAS drive to the router so that all resources are accessible.

- Also, if the same 2-4 people will use these machines but not all at the same time, should I just have duplicate user accounts on both machines?
- Also, I've seen something about external/mobile accounts. Is that something I should know about?
I'd have username/password protected folders on the NAS drive - which is accessible from both machines. I'd also have separate users on the Macs.

2) PROTECTING FOLDERS: If I have a few standard user accounts on a Mac and I'm logged in under one account, can I see the folders of the other users?
No they can't.

- What about on an external drive? Can I somehow protect one user's folders from another, even if someone disconnected the drive and reattached it to another Mac?
There are solutions but I'd go down the NAS route as above

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.