Backup strategy

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
I've read a lot of posts on backup but not one with my question.

I have a 6TB NAS (nowhere close to full but...) that I use for almost all my storage needs. For one thing, all computers in my house can access it (iTunes server with a LOT of movies, TV shows, and music) and I figured the RAID feature would protect me. The NAS also hosts my Time Machine backups for two Macs.

Yesterday the NAS power supply died...luckily it's under warranty and a replacement is en route but I'm reconsidering my strategy.

I'm looking for a cost effective way to back up my NAS and possibly my computers as well (2 Macs and 2 pcs). Most online options backup computers but not a NAS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
RAID mirroring is the most obvious NAS backup solution. Complete duplicate of the data.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 MacBook Pro 15" - 2013 iMac 3.4GHz quad-core i7, Fusion Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX
How, a second NAS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
No. If you have a multi disk nas drive, say 2x2tb you set it to mirror and both disks receive the same data.

If one disk fails the other contains all your data safe and sound

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Except that in my above scenario the NAS chassis died. It is raided, but if you can't read the drives, then what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's just a power supply. Even if the enclosure failed you just take the disks out into a new one.

Your data is still safe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Same Question

I've read a lot of posts on backup but not one with my question.

I have a 6TB NAS (nowhere close to full but...) that I use for almost all my storage needs. For one thing, all computers in my house can access it (iTunes server with a LOT of movies, TV shows, and music) and I figured the RAID feature would protect me. The NAS also hosts my Time Machine backups for two Macs.

Yesterday the NAS power supply died...luckily it's under warranty and a replacement is en route but I'm reconsidering my strategy.

I'm looking for a cost effective way to back up my NAS and possibly my computers as well (2 Macs and 2 pcs). Most online options backup computers but not a NAS.

I have the same question as you.
Another scenario could be if your NAS was stolen or burnt up in a house fire. You have lost your data.

I have not figured out in my own mind about how to approach backing up your NAS?

DavidH

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As soon as you talk theft or on site damage you're looking at the data being in an insecure environment (of sorts). On the back of this you need to be thinking off-site back-up. It's the only way to counteract an uncontrolled environment.

That said, there are an almost unlimited number of scenarios for backup. Limited by cost, effort, importance, practicality, infrastructure and more. So determining a backup solution without a full breakdown of use cases is just a shot in the dark.

You can backup any data to an online service, no matter what storage device is used.
You can raid mirror to hot swappable disks and put the mirrored disk in an on or off-site fire safe.
You can make copies to tape.
You can sync two NAS drives to one another.
Many many options. Some more appropriate than others depending on the use case.

But to determine which best suits means going back to some basic details;
Budget
Volume of data
Frequency of backup required
Speed at which the restored data would be required

There are other questions that can be asked but those give a framework onto which you can start to form a backup strategy.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's just a power supply. Even if the enclosure failed you just take the disks out into a new one.

Your data is still safe.

I fully realize that...I noted in my OP that a replacement was on the way. I also noted that I realized that I need a better solution...RAID storage doesn't help in cases like this (or theft, or fire or...)

As soon as you talk theft or on site damage you're looking at the data being in an insecure environment (of sorts). On the back of this you need to be thinking off-site back-up. It's the only way to counteract an uncontrolled environment.

That said, there are an almost unlimited number of scenarios for backup. Limited by cost, effort, importance, practicality, infrastructure and more. So determining a backup solution without a full breakdown of use cases is just a shot in the dark.

You can backup any data to an online service, no matter what storage device is used.
You can raid mirror to hot swappable disks and put the mirrored disk in an on or off-site fire safe.
You can make copies to tape.
You can sync two NAS drives to one another.
Many many options. Some more appropriate than others depending on the use case.

But to determine which best suits means going back to some basic details;
Budget
Volume of data
Frequency of backup required
Speed at which the restored data would be required

There are other questions that can be asked but those give a framework onto which you can start to form a backup strategy.

Exactly. Your statement "almost unlimited number of scenarios for backup" is my issue...the sheer number of options is overwhelming. Hence my request for recommendations. But, here is more detail if it would help.
  • One iMac
  • One MacBook Pro
  • One PC Laptop (with son at college...an online option would include him if possible)
  • Two home PCs (neither get much use anymore however. I would most likely copy the important files to the NAS and then back up the NAS)
  • Ihave cable internet..not the fastest uplod speed in the world but has been pretty reliable of late)

I am interested in online storage for the convenience and the fact my son at college can use it as well, but I would consider other solutions as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Your data is still safe.

One would think that's true, but it's not. For some years I ran a mirrored raid in an external enclosure. It worked well until it didn't work well. Somewhere along the way the controller cards in the external enclosure decided to cease working, likely cause by a power supply issue I would later determine. The issue was they were ALL affected and they ALL trashed my discs. My primaries AND the mirrors were all shot. I was able to use recovery software to retrieve about 80% or so of my data but it proved to me that any system that relies on a single point of failure is still flawed and can cost you data. In the end there is no such thing as a perfect backup solution for the average home user. All you can do is try your best. HDD reliability has gone up in the last 10 years and you are probably safe for most part. If you have the money, a single mirrored RAID enclosure per disc (unless you can find/build a single enclosure with multiple power supplies for multiple discs etc.) would be best, but that gets expensive and requires space.

As for me, I run TM for my boot drive, but for everything else I trust the Universe to treat me kindly. That being said though, during a recent infrastructure upgrade to my system I lost a 1Tb drive full of TV shows I had ripped over the years. Software couldn't even read the disc so nothing was retrieved. I'm busily re-reipping content but at least I'm enjoying it. Something about Lemons and Lemonade applies here....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well it sounds like you've chosen online storage.

Everything else is going to need power of some kind provided by you. If you believe that every back solution that needs a power supply is inadequate, handing it off to someone else I.e. online is the online option.

Narrowed down to that single option you just need to start looking for providers that provide a suitable answer to the four basic details I've provide in my post

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well it sounds like you've chosen online storage.

Everything else is going to need power of some kind provided by you. If you believe that every back solution that needs a power supply is inadequate, handing it off to someone else I.e. online is the online option.

Actually I haven't chosen on-line storage. Just limit the discs that utilize the single point(s) of failure. Doing so decreased the likely-hood of potential loss of data significantly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually I haven't chosen on-line storage. Just limit the discs that utilize the single point(s) of failure.

That was aimed at the OP.

OP
L

lrd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't either...it's just an option that I think has merits. I'm still open to recommendations.
  1. If I go online, which works best with all platforms (OS X, Windows)?
  2. If I go hardware (offline), what would work best with OS X and a NAS?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.