storing itunes library on external drive

Reaction score
Hopefully I'm posting this on the right thread. I exported my iTunes library to my external drive but how do I know if I can delete from my hard drive and how do I do it safely? Help please!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Rename the itunes library folder on your internal hard drive. Then fire up iTunes. If you've relocated the library correctly to the external iTunes should just start and give you full access to your library without any issues.

You can try playing a few things, maybe adding something to the library and right-clicking and choosing show in finder to confirm the actual file location

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can also do a Get Info on items in your library to see the directory where the selection is stored - bottom of the Summary tab.

C

chas_m

The correct way:

1. COPY (not MOVE) the library to the external drive.
2. Open iTunes holding down the OPTION key. It will stop and ask if you want to create or locate an iTunes library. Navigate to the external drive's iTunes library and choose that.
3. Quit iTunes.
4. Move the "old" iTunes library to the trash. DO NOT EMPTY THE TRASH YET.
5. Open up iTunes again just as you would normally.
6. If the library came up with no warning dialogs, you can now empty the trash.

Be aware that if you ever fire up iTunes with the external disk NOT mounted, iTunes will tell you it can't find a library and offer to create a new (empty) one for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.