Few Questions about my mid 2012 MBP

Reaction score
Hey guys, just got a few quick questions about my mac book pro:

firstly, the past few months its been taking alot longer to shut down, like the grey spinning symbol rotates for a good 30 seconds most of the time before shut down, anyone know what the cause of this is? it used to take 3 or 4 seconds tops.

Next, i seem to be having a heat issue with my pro, usually when i have it on my lap, or on my mattress, or (recently) when its charging. It gets REALLY hot sometimes. Could this be due to overall temperature in my room ?

Finally, I am running 8GB of RAM at the moment, but just bought adobe after effects CS6, do you think it'd be worth upgrading to 16GB of ram ? money isnt an issue or anything, i just want after effects to run smoothly at the same time as photoshop and illustrator.

If anyone can help me out with these queries it'd be great.

Thanks! :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's discuss the issues you're having separately:

firstly, the past few months its been taking alot longer to shut down, like the grey spinning symbol rotates for a good 30 seconds most of the time before shut down, anyone know what the cause of this is? it used to take 3 or 4 seconds tops.

As you begin to add applications and fill up the hard drive space, it will take somewhat longer to shut everything down. Most folks just put their Macs to sleep rather than a complete shut down. Also, make sure you're completely shutting down your running apps. Anything left open will cause a slowdown in shutting down.

Next, i seem to be having a heat issue with my pro, usually when i have it on my lap, or on my mattress, or (recently) when its charging. It gets REALLY hot sometimes. Could this be due to overall temperature in my room ?

Your new MacBook Pro is not a "laptop" it's a notebook computer and as such is not designed to be used on surfaces that do not allow cooling or the circulation of air. Do not use it in bed, on your lap, on a soft carpet, etc. It will get hot and can be detrimental to the machine over a period of time. Getting warm when charging is normal.

Finally, I am running 8GB of RAM at the moment, but just bought adobe after effects CS6, do you think it'd be worth upgrading to 16GB of ram ? money isnt an issue or anything, i just want after effects to run smoothly at the same time as photoshop and illustrator.

More memory is always a plus. If you can afford it, by all means load it up. Make sure, however, you buy memory from a reputable reseller. We recommend either Crucial or Other World Computing for memory.

And welcome to our forums!

OP
C
Reaction score
Let's discuss the issues you're having separately:

As you begin to add applications and fill up the hard drive space, it will take somewhat longer to shut everything down. Most folks just put their Macs to sleep rather than a complete shut down. Also, make sure you're completely shutting down your running apps. Anything left open will cause a slowdown in shutting down.

Your new MacBook Pro is not a "laptop" it's a notebook computer and as such is not designed to be used on surfaces that do not allow cooling or the circulation of air. Do not use it in bed, on your lap, on a soft carpet, etc. It will get hot and can be detrimental to the machine over a period of time. Getting warm when charging is normal.

More memory is always a plus. If you can afford it, by all means load it up. Make sure, however, you buy memory from a reputable reseller. We recommend either Crucial or Other World Computing for memory.

And welcome to our forums!

Thankyou for your reply! For the slow shut down speed, that totally makes sense.

as for the heat issue, is it normal for it to get hot when charging? :)

and finally for the ram upgrade, could you direct me to the correct model of ram for my macbook? :) i have heard lots of stories about people getting the wrong ones and stuff.

Thankyou!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, the machine will normally heat up slightly when charging. Perfectly normal.

I usually recommend a notebook stand to use instead of laying it flat on a table or desk. It helps the machine to cool and most importantly, helps to prevent a nasty spill from destroying your machine. ;)

Let me look up the correct memory for your machine and I'll get right back to you.......

Maximum Memory 16 GB (Actual) 8 GB (Apple)
Memory Slots 2 - 204-pin PC3-12800 (1600 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

As stated previously, buy your memory from a reputable reseller.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.