iOS File Sharing App

Reaction score
I'm searching for an iOS app (for iPad) that lets me set up folders/sub folders on my computer, and then syncs and stores them (along with their content) on my iPad (and not my computer).

I have used fileshare, and cinex, which both allow me to store data/files/folders on iPad, but whats missing is my ability to create folders on the computer.

e.g. I have cinex open in itunes, I drag a file (say an .mp4) into the app, and it is then available on my iPad (and stored there)-after syncing, of course. If I want to place that movie/file in a folder, or sub-folder, I am limited to creating that folder ON the iPad, where I want to set up a bunch of folders on my computer, but keep the media stored on the iPad, and not the computer (I don't want to use dropbox for this either).

Thoughts?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might give TeamViewer for iOS a try. It should allow you to setup folders on your Mac or PC. The syncing of them to your iPad is another matter though as I'm not sure how you would accomplish that. TeamViewer for personal use is free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
DropBox?

I'm searching for an iOS app (for iPad) that lets me set up folders/sub folders on my computer, and then syncs and stores them (along with their content) on my iPad (and not my computer).

I have used fileshare, and cinex, which both allow me to store data/files/folders on iPad, but whats missing is my ability to create folders on the computer.

e.g. I have cinex open in itunes, I drag a file (say an .mp4) into the app, and it is then available on my iPad (and stored there)-after syncing, of course. If I want to place that movie/file in a folder, or sub-folder, I am limited to creating that folder ON the iPad, where I want to set up a bunch of folders on my computer, but keep the media stored on the iPad, and not the computer (I don't want to use dropbox for this either).

Thoughts?

Thanks.

What is the reason for not wanting to use DropBox?

DavidH

OP
T
Reaction score
I don't want to use drop box because there would be scenarios where I would want to access these files when I was offline. This wouldn't be a problem if I was accessing these files on my computer (since the files would be stored locally), but with the mobile versions of drop box, you need to be online to access the files-which is why the apps I mention work (because they store files on the mobile device) but again, I have no ability to set folders up elsewhere (not on the mobile platform).

C

chas_m

It sounds to me like what you really want is a laptop or desktop.

Trying to make a touch device -- which uses a touch paradigm -- into a file-folder-mouse paradigm is possible but ultimately dumb, since it will never be as good at that. I prefer to use the right tool for the job rather than hammer my current tool into being something it isn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I don't want to use drop box because there would be scenarios where I would want to access these files when I was offline. This wouldn't be a problem if I was accessing these files on my computer (since the files would be stored locally), but with the mobile versions of drop box, you need to be online to access the files-which is why the apps I mention work (because they store files on the mobile device) but again, I have no ability to set folders up elsewhere (not on the mobile platform).

mark your files as favourites in the Dropbox app and they are stored locally on your iDevice for offline use

OP
T
Reaction score
Well Chas, thanks for an absolutely worthless comment - a huge help that was. Sounds like you know a lot about tools. You've got no idea what and why I would be searching for an app like this, so please don't suggest the "right" way to do it.

And Mr. Plow, thanks, I'll give that a shot.

C

chas_m

Too bad your reading comprehension is so poor.

You'll note in my post that I did not MAKE a suggestion -- I instead offered you an alternative way of thinking about the problem.

That's okay, you didn't get it or didn't want to get it. I was hoping to spark the process of looking at the problem afresh, but it appears your mind is closed to that. Good luck to you.

OP
T
Reaction score
Dropbox works that way, but I can't favorite folders, only files....so still no go :/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.