Upgrade/repair ?

S

scdobo

I own a B & W G3 rev 1 which I recently installed panther on. One day I got a panic kernal after a palm hot sync via an external usb hub. After talking to apple twice and numerous attempts to recover I took it to a service place and was informed my motherboard is shot. Now I am weighing my options on how to procede. I could get a new motherboard installed for about $300 and do nothing else ( do I run the risk of taxing my machine) , in addition to the new motherboard add a G4 chip updgrade for about another $300 , pull the drives from the B & W case and purchase a G4 case with similar specs to the B & W for $650. What option would you choose? what are some of the pros or cons of the options?

OP
D

dziner

Well, my advice is to just get a new Mac. I know it's more money but it'll be well worth it. I just jumped from my beige G3 300Mhz to a 1.6 G5. The G3 was paid off in January so I think the money I paid for the G5 was well worth it. If you spend $300 or $600 to upgrade the G3 and keep it running - it's still an outdated machine, and sooner or later it will fail again. Just keep that money and put it towards the new Mac. That's what I did.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Upgrade, you will not regret it. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.