Wifi dropping

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 2011 Intel Dual Core i5 Intel HD Graphics 3000 4GB RAM 128 SSD
Hi all,

My MacBook Air is really driving me mad now, I can't be sure but I would say this all started around when I installed Mountain Lion, since then every time I either shut down, log out, sleep next time I open the lid on my MacBook Air it does not connect to the WIFI network, I have tried changing the priority list and all that but it's not working, what happens is it takes a while to load then finally the box comes up showing which one you want to connect to (acting like its not a known network). Just lately it sometimes doesn't even do that and no networks show in the menu bar icon (I am forced to go into system preferences and go in the drop down menu and after a minute or two of loading it finally decides to connect!

Any help/suggestions very welcome

-minecraftman

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Tell us a bit more about your wireless network please.

What kind of router/modem are you using? What kind of encryption (WPA/WPA2/WEP)? Do you have SSID broadcast enabled?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 2011 Intel Dual Core i5 Intel HD Graphics 3000 4GB RAM 128 SSD
Tell us a bit more about your wireless network please.

What kind of router/modem are you using? What kind of encryption (WPA/WPA2/WEP)? Do you have SSID broadcast enabled?

What difference does that make and anyway it's WPA2
(What's ssid broadcast?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
What difference does that make and anyway it's WPA2
(What's ssid broadcast?)

Your having wifi issues. Knowing what equipment and settings are involved is a reasonable request. Some routers/security settings handle devices hopping on and off networks better than others.

The SSID broadcast is whether you're router is broadcasting it's network name or whether it's hidden. e.g. when you get a list of networks can you see 'sky12345' or 'johns network' etc. If it's hidden you have to know the SSID and enter it manually.

Have you tried deleting all known networks, rebooting and connecting afresh?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.