Application Install DVD won't mount?

Reaction score
I upgraded my 2008 MacBook Pro from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. I had wiped my drive clean before the upgrade (ya, I now know that was unnecessary :) Now, when I try to use the Application Install DVD that came with my MBP it won't mount. The drive takes the DVD, spins it up and down a few times, then shows 'Untitled DVD' on the desktop that when opened is blank. Other CD's and DVD's work fine. I've tried using an Optical Drive Cleaning Disc, confirmed that the “CDs, DVDs and iPods” option is enabled in Preferences, re-setting the SMC and even setting the date back to 2009 for Disc Permissions (or something like that :) Is there a solution? Thanks

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
So, you're running ML but you're trying to use a SL DVD? If that's the case, your Mac won't accept the SL disc because you're running a more recent OS.

OP
C
Reaction score
So, you're running ML but you're trying to use a SL DVD? If that's the case, your Mac won't accept the SL disc because you're running a more recent OS.

Hi, thanks for the quick response. Maybe so. It came originally with Leopard, then I upgraded to Snow Leopard, wiped the drive clean and now Mountain Lion. Was that Application Install DVD that came with my laptop specifically made for Leopard? I hadn't used it since all the apps were already installed when I bought it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Yes, it is outdated and that's why your Mac won't accept it. What is the point of using the disc? Are you needing to repair or reinstall an app?

OP
C
Reaction score
It would be for re-installing apps such as, iPhoto, iMovie and Garageband. I'll try to find it again, but I think that was the point of the 'turning back the clock' trick, something to due with outdated permissions. Sounded like it worked for some but not me.

At one point I upgraded Garageband and iMovie to their newer versions using the APP Store. Could I get them back through that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
If you bought the newer versions through the App Store then you can just log back into the App Store and download them again at no extra cost.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok, both iMovie and Garageband are available for install under Purchases in the App Store. I'd still like to be able to get other applications like iPhoto off that install DVD.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'd still like to be able to get other applications like iPhoto off that install DVD.

You can't get them off the DVD without using extraction software. Pacifist from CharlesSoft is what's needed to do that.

OP
C
Reaction score
You can't get them off the DVD without using extraction software. Pacifist from CharlesSoft is what's needed to do that.

Thanks. Tried Pacifist but it says 'No known Apple install packages were found on any inserted disks'. I'm starting to think it's a disc drive problem.

Edit: just got it over with and downloaded iPhoto from the App Store :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.