Memory Upgrade Difficulty

Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently purchased new memory for my MacBook Pro (All Specs below).
When I went to start up the computer after installing the memory, the MacBook just beeps constantly. Slow and steady beeps and they don't stop until I hold down the power button again and "Turn it off" though it never really turns on.
I found a feed on the Apple site that gave a Key for what the beeps mean, but they only listed what it means if there are 1 to 5 beeps, I can't find what it means if the computer is constantly beeping.
The memory I purchased is 1066 vs the 1067 listed on my specs...could that be the problem?
I know the memory was installed properly, I have installed memory on several computers before (never on a Mac) and I know I touched metal before handling the memory to discharge any static electricity from my body. As soon as I put the old memory in the computer started up without a hitch. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really need to speed this computer up for all the applications I'm running at work.

THE MEMORY PURCHASHED:
8GB 2x4GB DDR3 1066MHZ PC3 8500 SODIMM

All the Computer Specs:
MacBook Pro
13-inch, Mid 2010
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The beeps usually mean that it's the wrong ram...or defective ram.

You could try removing the ram...and "reseating" it one more time. If you still get the beeps...return the ram.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
The receipt says memory for "Mac or PC". So perhaps it simply isn't specific enough?
My boss purchased the memory from eBay, I think I'm going to order my own from Crucial and try again. Thanks for the help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The receipt says memory for "Mac or PC". So perhaps it simply isn't specific enough?

As I mentioned above...the ram could be incorrect or defective. If it is the correct ram...it then could be defective.

I would also suggest reinstalling the original ram to make sure that the computer is operating 100% correctly. If you put the original ram back in...and still have troubles...then the computer may be the problem...and not the ram.

My boss purchased the memory from eBay, I think I'm going to order my own from Crucial and try again.

Excellent idea!:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
I put the memory original memory back in and the computer functions perfectly. Going to Crucial tonight...boss went cheap and I paid for it.

Moral of the story: You get what you pay for.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I put the memory original memory back in and the computer functions perfectly.

Good deal. Most definitely sounds like the new ram is/was the problem.

- Nick

C

chas_m

The memory I purchased is 1066 vs the 1067 listed on my specs...could that be the problem?

HELLO. Problem identified.

Rule #314: NEVER buy RAM from a Windows-only dealer. ALWAYS use a dealer that understands that Macs are NOT "just another brand of PC."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.