iPhone 5 - cannot delete photos after import

Reaction score
I have been able to connect my phone and import my photos to iphoto. However, once that is complete and iphoto asks me if I want to keep or delete the photos, I choose delete, it says it is deleting the photos but after I disconnect the phone from the computer all the photos are still on the cameral roll. So I tried hooking the phone back up and opening Image Capture. After selecting all the photos, I hit the delete button. It says deleting on the screen for about 10 seconds then says "iphone was disconnected", and the photos are still on my phone. What am I missing here?

C

chas_m

Sounds like you are disconnecting the phone improperly (aka "pulling the plug") rather than dismounting it first. You will definitely screw up the directory permanently and brick the phone if that's what you are doing and you keep on doing it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Where in my post did you get the idea I'm disconnecting the phone improperly? Regardless, as long as its not syncing in iTunes, it can be disconnected without dismounting first (per the user manual). However, I don't even have the option of ejecting the phone in both of the scenarios I described so it doesn't even matter.

OP
B
Reaction score
Well I plugged the phone into my PC at work today and was able to delete the photos. Still not sure why it wouldn't work on my mac?

C

chas_m

Oh, well now that I know the whole story ...

Your iPhone can only be synced to one computer. Obviously, that computer is your PC and not your Mac. You will need to re-sync it to the Mac (this will erase everything on it!) and then put on what you want on there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Oh, well now that I know the whole story ...

Your iPhone can only be synced to one computer. Obviously, that computer is your PC and not your Mac. You will need to re-sync it to the Mac (this will erase everything on it!) and then put on what you want on there.

That's simply not the case with photos. You can transfer photos to any machine that can handle USB mass storage. No 'allegiance' required. No syncing required.

Sounds to me like a cable or USB port issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.