.ds_store takeover. help!

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new to Mac and have a few questions.

After running CC Cleaner, I noticed a .ds_store file that appears on my desktop and several other places as well.

Is it necessary to get rid of this file? If so, how do I do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
They are files that store certain attributes about folders on OSX, like their positions, custom backgrounds etc for that folder. They are usually hidden but if you wanted to get rid of them you could use a program like onyx which has the option to remove all the .ds_store files from a specific folder or icon.

Titanium's Software • View topic - Downloads

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
After re-reading that, if you can't see them but ccleaner can, then I wouldn't bother going out of your way to remove them. They should be fine doing their thing as they are :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
IMHO removing them is, except in rare circumstances, a waste of time and energy. If the file is not present when a window is opened it is re-created. More info here.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
After running CC Cleaner, I noticed a .ds_store file that appears on my desktop and several other places as well.

I think everyone missed the fact that those files are normally hidden. CCleaner is an application which we do not recommend running on your Mac. It works great on PCs and the folks at Piriform are great with free ware, however, it shouldn't be used on your Mac.

The only app we recommend to optimize your Mac is OnyX, likewise free, but safe to use. Stay away from CCleaner, MacKeeper, and others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.