external HDD is not detecting

Reaction score
hi...My external HDD is not detecting now,
But in disk utility it showing as unmounted, I have an option for verify disk and repair disk. But this HDD contain more than 200 GB data,all data are very important, Is there any chance for data lose if I do any repair/verify .
any one can give me a suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I was under the impression that if the HD in DU shows it as unmounted that you didnt have any options ??

But if your saying that you have those option, Verify and repair the HD then. You wont loose any Data but if the HD is as i suspect, its on its way out
Report back your findings

Cheers

OP
M
Reaction score
I was under the impression that if the HD in DU shows it as unmounted that you didnt have any options ??

But if your saying that you have those option, Verify and repair the HD then. You wont loose any Data but if the HD is as i suspect, its on its way out
Report back your findings

Cheers
My doubt is if i select to repair, is there any chance to data lose.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Never say never; but verifying and repairing a HD should not cause you to lose any data at all.

However, as TattooedMac suggests, it looks as if your HD may be dying. If it were me, I would immediately create a backup onto an Ext HD either using Time Machine (free as part of your OS) or via cloning software which you have to purchase (SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner).

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.