iSight not working with iChat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I recently purchased an iSight webcam for use with my powermac (specs at left.) I am running OS X 10.4.4 and iChat AV 3.1.1. When I plugged in my webcam, updated the firmware automatically, and I shut the mac off and booted back up just for good measure.

Now the iSight works fine with iMovie HD, I can see things and record video and sound. It also works as a microphone in system prefs --> sound.

However, the camera refuses to work with iChat AV! When I try to access it in the "Preferences" pane, it merely says "You camera is in use by another application". The only problem is, iChat is the only application running! (aside from finder and dashboard.) I even tried getting rid of all my dashboard widgets, just in case one of them was tripping it up somehow.

Going through all the troubleshooting on Apple's website has revealed nothing new. The camera works, iChat just refuses to believe it. I fail to see the point of sending the iSight in, since there appears to be nothing wrong with the hardware.

I've tried everything I can think of. Your turn: I would appreciate any suggestions...

Reaction score
Try using the activity monitor to see if anything is running in the background.

I take it you've repaired permissions ?

OP
sevenhelmet
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mr Bobbins said:
Try using the activity monitor to see if anything is running in the background.

I take it you've repaired permissions ?

yup... permissions repaired. Activity monitor shows nothing that would be obviously interfering with the camera, and iMovie will let me use it just fine!

Totally stumped on this one... anyone?

OP
sevenhelmet
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
sevenhelmet said:
yup... permissions repaired. Activity monitor shows nothing that would be obviously interfering with the camera, and iMovie will let me use it just fine!

Totally stumped on this one... anyone?

OK, problem solved! Turns out it was a third party conflict with my Alchemy TV DVR software for the TV tuner card. Me and my toys, lol...

Still wondering why Apple tech support kept hanging up on me though... hope I never REALLY need them.

Reaction score
Glad you got it repaired :cool:

I guess Apple tech where as puzzled as we all where. :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
sevenhelmet said:
OK, problem solved! Turns out it was a third party conflict with my Alchemy TV DVR software for the TV tuner card. Me and my toys, lol...

Still wondering why Apple tech support kept hanging up on me though... hope I never REALLY need them.

how did you find out it was the DVR software? i am having the same problem with yahoo instant messenger with my built in isight. i have not put anythng like that on my imac and i am not sure where to start looking.

tia,
Dylan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.