Comparing 17" MacBook Pros' performance

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My biggest requirement is for as many "portable pixels" as I can get. (I often don't have access to a 2nd monitor and I'm on the move a lot.)

The retina displays at 1920 x 1200 are just a bit too tiny for my eyes.

So I'm comparing various versions of used 17"ers:

core duo (5,2) vs. i5 (6,1) vs. i7 (6,1?) vs. i7 (8,3)

From what I can tell by looking at benchmarks, there are only incremental changes in performance until you get to the quad core (8,3).

I don't do much in the way of cpu-intensive stuff (no video editing ;) ), but I DO like to have many Apps and windows running at the same time.

So I'm wondering if maybe a 5,2 or a 6,1 with lots of RAM would be good "bang for the buck" or if I really should spend the extra $500 to get the quad core? Or maybe there are other compelling reasons to spend that extra $500?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Try and go for either the i5 or i7 Models, they will outlast the Core Duos models by a long shot. The rule of thumb has usually been get the highest CPU you can afford as this cannot be upgraded later on. The i5/i7 series have hyperthreading enabled so you do get additional logical cores, i have the i7 Quad and with the HT i show 8 Cores in Activity monitor. So the i5 will give you 4 Cores the i7 will give you 8 then just max the RAM out and away you go. But if you're not after the power get the i5 and Max the RAM, could even throw a SSD in there ;)

OP
I
Reaction score
Thanks Halo,

Seems like the right orientation. It also seems like not all i7's are quad core correct? So I have to be careful if I want a quad core - just saying "i7" doesn't prove it's a quad core?

Do you have a link or a short explanation of when the OS or software can actually make use of extra cores? (As a programmer, I know that multi-threading is tough to pull off effectively.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It also seems like not all i7's are quad core correct?

You are correct. Not all 17" MacBook Pro's with an "i7" cpu have 4 cores. The 2010 17" MacBook Pro's with an "i7" cpu have 2 cores...all other 17" MacBook Pro's with an "i7" cpu do have 4 cores (Early 2011 and Late 2011 models).

So I have to be careful if I want a quad core - just saying "i7" doesn't prove it's a quad core?

You just have to check out the computer properly before buying. Ask questions of the seller, verify the specs, check it yourself if you're buying it in person.

Do you have a link or a short explanation of when the OS or software can actually make use of extra cores? (As a programmer, I know that multi-threading is tough to pull off effectively.)

This is not the easiest topic to obtain information on. Generally speaking the applications from Adobe Creative Suite and Apple's "Final Cut" are multicore capable (graphics & video apps.).

What is difficult to find info on is how well these applications make use of multiple cores. The only info I have been able to find regarding how well specific apps. take advantage of multi-cores is this:

MPG - Mac Performance 101: Cores, Processes, Memory - Application support for multiple CPU cores

Unfortunately this link is getting kind of old (2010)...and there doesn't seem to be any sort of newer info/links that review the multi-core effectiveness of various apps. for Macintosh computers.

HTH,:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Shoot pigoo3, you bet me to it! Last time I walk away with tabs open with you around!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Shoot pigoo3, you bet me to it! Last time I walk away with tabs open with you around!

Yes...things can change quickly around here!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.