HELP!! iPhone 5 not recognized in iTunes 11

Reaction score
iTunes 11 won't recognize my iPhone 5 so I am unable to sync, manage, etc. I looked on some forums, did the whole trashing and reinstalling itunes, etc. along with the specific files listed, but to no avail. One thing I did notice was I was instructed to go to /system/library/launch daemons to trash com.apple.usbmuxd.plist-original, I couldn't find it. Another forum stated if it's unfound, then I have another issue. Shite! I also did the whole restarting my phone, network settings, computer- nothing. It won't let me do so via wifi either.

Anyways, I'm not terribly computer savvy and would appreciate some help. Anybody else run into the same issues??

FYI- I'm using a MacBook Pro that's been updated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Threads merged - please don't crosspost.

What happens when you plug the iPhone to your computer? Have you tried plugging this into other computers?

OP
B
Reaction score
When I plugged my phone into my personal MacBook Pro my phone responds by vibrating because it's charging at that point. Nothing else unfortunately. I just tried plugging it into my work MacBook and iTunes recognized it there. What the..

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That would seem to indicate that the iPhone is probably OK and something is not allowing iTunes to recognize it on your MBP. Do you have any other iDevice you can plug in to see what happens? Have you tried multiple USB ports?

What version of OS X are you running on the two MBPs?

OP
B
Reaction score
I haven't tried another device yet. I will when I get home from work. I did try both USB ports on my Mac to no avail. Both computers use versions OS X 10.6.8

OP
B
Reaction score
So I retried syncing my iPhone 5 to my Mac as soon as I got home and it now works. Not sure what the deal is. I thought maybe it's because my computer was using my work's wifi (I work at a school where there's many restrictions in place) but that wouldn't make sense given that my work computer recognized my phone when plugged in. Any ideas why it's now working??

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you by any chance reboot between when you tried it last and now? Perhaps something was out of whack and a reboot fixed it? Short of that, I'm not sure why it wouldn't work before. A wifi connection is not required for syncing local content.

Reaction score
So I retried syncing my iPhone 5 to my Mac as soon as I got home and it now works. Not sure what the deal is. I thought maybe it's because my computer was using my work's wifi (I work at a school where there's many restrictions in place) but that wouldn't make sense given that my work computer recognized my phone when plugged in. Any ideas why it's now working??

I also had this problem syncing with my iPhone on iTunes 11. I really dont know why it went okay but after 3 times of rebooting and plugging my phone, it's already working. LOL!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.