Help! No bootable device

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM
I'm trying to install Windows 7 using Bootcamp. The mac Mini rebooted and now I get "No bootable device, press any key".

How can I fix this? I have an Apple Wireless Keyboard and an Apple Magic Mouse. I've tried plugging in a USB PC keyboard but I am unable to press any keys.

Please help!

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I managed to boot back into the Mac by pressing the Alt key during startup. I then ran Bootcamp again to delete the Windows partition,

I'll try again once I figure out what went wrong.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm trying to install Windows 7 using Bootcamp. The mac Mini rebooted and now I get "No bootable device, press any key".

Is this a Mac Mini with an optical drive or a newer one that does not have an optical drive?

Also.... you can't setup Windows using Boot Camp with wireless devices since the drivers for those devices have not been installed for Windows yet. The USB PC type keyboard should have worked and any USB connected mouse should likewise be OK.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^ It's the new Mac mini without the optical drive, so I used a USB stick.

Looks like my ISO was bad. I downloaded a good one from MSDN (I have a valid, legal key for Windows 7). A few things that I learned:

1. The BOOTCAMP partition needs to be formatted from within Windows setup. It will warn you that Windows cannot be installed on that partition because it needs to be NTFS (I think Bootcamp formats it to some Mac format). Just use the disk utility link on the same page to format the BOOTCAMP partition.

2. Use a USB keyboard initially.

3. 20GB isn't really enough for Windows 7 - choose 30GB to 50GB if you have the space.

4. After Windows boots up you can install all the Mac drivers. There is a setup program in one of the folders on the bootable USB stick.

5. In the system tray there is a Bootcamp icon that you can use to switch between Mac and Windows (you can also do this from OS X, of course).

6. The USB stick needs to be MORE than 4GB. I tried a 4GB one I had lying around and Bootcamp said it didn't have enough space.

7. The Apple Wireless Keyboard and Apple Magic Mouse work perfectly under Windows 7.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back and glad to hear you're up and running. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.