Macbook battery bad, ‘replace battery’ warning

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a white MacBook 13 in. laptop and recently the ‘replace battery’ warning has been coming on. I figured that since I never use it unplugged, I wouldn’t need to replace it, just keep running it plugged in. Well, my wife went to log on and nothing at all… no power, no light on the plug in, nothing! My question is, will I have to replace the battery even though I seldom use it ‘unplugged’ from an AC source?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I can't remember if it affects the older MB's but on later models the performance takes a hit and my concern would be that its constantly trying to charge a bad battery which could kill the power supply board and charger not to mention the possibility of added heat and swollen battery.

OP
D
Reaction score
I think it's from 2008-- Any idea on how I would check any of these potential issues?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello,
I have a white MacBook 13 in. laptop and recently the ‘replace battery’ warning has been coming on. I figured that since I never use it unplugged, I wouldn’t need to replace it, just keep running it plugged in. Well, my wife went to log on and nothing at all… no power, no light on the plug in, nothing! My question is, will I have to replace the battery even though I seldom use it ‘unplugged’ from an AC source?

How about telling us how many charge/discharge cycles this battery has? I don't know what OS version you're running. To determine this:

If you're running 10.6:

- Apple Menu
- About this Mac
- Click on "More Info"
- Click on "Power" in the left margin of that window
- In the right side of the window it will say "Cycle Count"

If you're running 10.7 or 10.8:

- Apple Menu
- About this Mac
- Click on "More Info"
- Click on "System Report"
- Click on "Power" in the left margin of that window
- In the right side of the window it will say "Cycle Count"

Tell us the "Cycle Count" number.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Because I am not able to power it on, I won't be able to do that, however, this is the info on the battery itself:

model no. A1185 10.8V --- 55Wh

Also, I think the OS is pretty up-to-date, it's a 2.4GHZ processor

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That doesn't tell us anything. However, since the "replace battery" warning is on, you very likely need to replace it. The battery for your MacBook can be purchased direct from Apple or from Other World Computing (Mac Sales).

Here's the LINK to purchase from Mac Sales. ($89.00)

OP
D
Reaction score
Ok, I will replace the battery on it... so I guess that it cannot be run with AC power if the battery is bad then....?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok, I will replace the battery on it... so I guess that it cannot be run with AC power if the battery is bad then....?

For what it's worth...I just removed the battery from my 2008 MacBook...and it boots up and runs fine. Usually it is not recommended to run an Apple laptop without a battery (sometimes there are performance issues...slower). But as I said...my MacBook boots up & runs fine with its battery removed.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.