iPhoto wont open

Reaction score
I am running Mac OS X Version 10.7.5 on MacBook Pro.
All updates are up to date.
217.21 GB available space.

When I click on iPhoto it just hops up and down, but never opens.

I tried deleting the com.apple.iphoto.plist file, restarted, but the same thing keeps happening. All photos are backed up. What should I do next?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi and welcome to the forums.

Try Repairing Disk Permissions via Disk Utility and report back.

OP
J
Reaction score
I ran the repairing disk permissions. It repaired a whole bunch of things. I restarted. iPhoto still does the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
A couple of things I would try.

Drag the iPhoto icon from the dock onto the desktop and let it disappear. Go into Applications, find the iPhoto icon and drag it into the dock. Retry.

Not worked?

Hold down the Command and Option (Alt) keys on the keyboard whilst opening iPhoto from Applications and a dialogue box will appear with some rebuild options. You sound like that you'll need to repair the library permissions so choose that option.

There is some more detailed info here iPhoto 6 and later: Rebuilding the iPhoto library

OP
J
Reaction score
Interesting... I cannot drag the iPhoto icon off of the dashboard. Any other icon, yes, but not that one.

I tried holding down command and option while trying to open iPhoto, but it just bounced for a while and then stopped bouncing, just like always.

Any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go Apple>Force Quit..is iPhoto listed?

OP
J
Reaction score
My macbook didn't come with a disk. It was already installed. So I went into the app store to see if i deleted it if I could re-install and I noticed that there was an update for the app in there... I had previously only looked for updates to my computer. So I did the update and it still didn't work. then I tried holding down option and command again and voila! it asked to rebuild and then it worked :)

thanks for all your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great news, glad you've sorted it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.