rMBP running out of storage; solutions?

Reaction score
Hellos forums,

I bought a MacBook Pro retina that only has a 256 GB solid-state drive. I'm running out of space and I was wondering what's the best solution for my dilemma. I was thinking about just getting a thunderbolt drive, but the idea of storing everything on a portable hard drive on a portable laptop seems cumbersome. If this is my only option then for sure I'll take it, it's better than no option.

The other option I was considering was, voiding my warranty and getting one of those OWC solid-state drive replacements. Clearly the voiding warranty part is the downer on this option.

Granted I could save money getting a thunderbolt drive and just dealing with the inconvenience of plugging and unplugging as needed.

The main reason why I'm running out of space is cause I partitioned my hard drive so I can run Windows 8, And now I'm feeling the effects of space deprivation. My question to you is it possible to run Windows 8 on a thunderbolt Drive externally And would this be ideal?

Basically I have a lot of questions and I don't know the answers, if you guys/gals can please help me out that'll be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought a MacBook Pro retina that only has a 256 GB solid-state drive. I'm running out of space and I was wondering what's the best solution for my dilemma.

Do all the items stored on that 256 SSD REALLY need to be available 100% of the time? If not...delete the "junk"...and store the less frequently needed items externally.

The main reason why I'm running out of space is cause I partitioned my hard drive so I can run Windows 8, And now I'm feeling the effects of space deprivation.

How often do you REALLY need to run Windows 8? If you really don't run it that often...you could get rid of the Windows 8 partition. Alternatively...you could reduce the size of your Windows 8 partition.

Now you can see the drawbacks of an SSD drive. On the positive side they can be faster than a traditional hard drive...but on the downside...they are VERY expensive...and their capacities (for affordable SSD's) are comparatively small.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If you have the $ i would go the OWC route and get a bigger SSD. The thunderbolt Drive is a good option as well but as you said, it can be cumbersome. I suggest getting a Ext HD anyways because having a backup is always a good option as well. You never know when your SSD will go south

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My question to you is it possible to run Windows 8 on a thunderbolt Drive externally And would this be ideal?

Not legally and not without hacking Windows 8. Microsoft has prevented running Windows from external media as a way of preventing piracy.

Hang on for awhile. It shouldn't be too long before OWC has a replaceable SSD for the retina machines. It will likely be expensive though. Nowadays to dual boot with a modern version of Windows (7 or 8) you really need an internal hard drive of at least 500 GB and probably larger.

OP
vahdyx
Reaction score
Not legally and not without hacking Windows 8. Microsoft has prevented running Windows from external media as a way of preventing piracy.

Hang on for awhile. It shouldn't be too long before OWC has a replaceable SSD for the retina machines. It will likely be expensive though. Nowadays to dual boot with a modern version of Windows (7 or 8) you really need an internal hard drive of at least 500 GB and probably larger.

OWC does have one, it's just priced a little higher than I wanna pay.

OWC SSD for MacBook Pro with Retina display 2012 - OWC Aura Pro Sandforce Driven

It's been out for some time, but I didn't wanna void the warranty. I play a lot of video games and the Mac runs hot, so if that day ever comes where it's catastrophic I'd like Apple to deal with it.

Though I've been reading people run their rMBPs way harder and nothing has happened to them yet.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I didn't realize OWC had already come out with a replaceable flash drive for the Retina. Yeah, it is a bit expensive isn't it. As far as voiding your warranty, I'm not so sure you would but without checking that, I don't blame you for holding off.

I would give the tech guys at OWC a call on their toll free hot line and ask them about it. Since they're authorized Apple dealers, they should know what voids the warranty and what doesn't.

OP
vahdyx
Reaction score
I contacted both Apple and OWC about this warranty issue and here's what they said;

OWC said it will not void the Apple warranty if no damage happens during install. OWC also said it's a good idea to keep and reinstall the OEM SSD if there's serious hardware failure caused solely by Apples hardware. OWC said if the SSD breaks the computer they'll replace the computer & SSD if the damage happens within 3 years of purchase.

Apple said it will not void my warranty if I buy the part from an authorized/certified dealer/developer which OWC is as chscag mention. I asked them if I install it myself does it void my warranty, she said no, it only voids my warranty if I cause damage during the install.

So basically if I want to pay for it and install it and install it correctly without hurting the Mac I should be covered for a long time.

Hope this info helps the community as much as it helped me out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the great information which will undoubtedly help someone else who has to make the same decision. Well then, are you going to give it a shot?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.