Rookie Question

Reaction score
All of a sudden every time I try to open a Word doc or open Word at all, I get the spinning beach ball of death and the only way I can make it stop is to force quit. This little problem has rendered my Word software useless. How do I fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

What version of Office are we discussing here? Office 2008 has an uninstaller, Office 2011 does not and can be the devil to delete. Then do a clean install complete with activation code.

OP
L
Reaction score
Uuggghhhh

Ok, I am really good at some things. This isn't one of them. The software is less than a year old. I can't check the version unless I open Word and that #^@& spinning wheel comes back. Suffice to say, it is brand new, it came installed on my new Macbook Pro I bought in June.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well let's assume it is Office 2011. You will need the DVD and code to do a clean install after removing. Unusual to get Office on a new Mac ~ certainly did not come free on my June 2012 iMac. Not installed illegally by the seller by any chance?

Downloads | Fix-KB

OP
L
Reaction score
Legally mine

No, I would never buy anything illegally. The ethical issue aside, I require far too much after-purchase hand holding. I bought it at the Apple store and they installed the software for me. I think I will just take a walk tomorrow and have them fix it. I thought if there was an easy fix i would check here first. Thanks for your response though.

M

MacInWin

if you have the installation discs for Office (and you should have been given them by the Apple store), then you can reinstall it yourself. Not hard to do, pretty much just follow the instructions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not suggesting for a moment you did anything wrong. Taking it back sounds like the best option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
No, I would never buy anything illegally.

Well, it's always a possibility that any of us could unwittingly purchase something that was not obtained or sold legally.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.