"deleted" images and web page images remain on hard drive.

Reaction score
I was using Wondershare data recovery for the first time to retrieve some deleted images I accidentally emptied, and it took a long time to scan the hard drive. It came up with over 250,000 images, most of them old web page images and old deleted images that go back quite a while. I searched in Finder for them and none came up. So where are they on the hard drive, and how do I get rid of them? And, I don't use iPhoto, but Bridge instead.

This is on a late 2010 MacBook Pro with a 500gb HD, and with Snow Leopard on it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When files are deleted on your hard drive by the system they're not actually removed. The areas which the files occupied are released to the system to be used over. In order to permanently remove them you would have to overwrite or clear the space they formerly occupied. You can accomplish that by using Disk Utility and select "clear free space".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.