How to shrink an audio file?

Reaction score
Hello:

I have an M4P file that is 30 MB in size. I need to shrink it at least in half in size and incorrectly thought compressing the file would shrink it but it simply put it in a zip format.

Can I get some direction from the forum in how to proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,
A clunky way to try would be to stick it on a CD and set iTunes to auto- import at one of it's lower settings.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No matter what way you do it you will have a quality loss. Just letting you know.

What are you trying to do, put it on a device with limited room?

You can in iTunes convert and lower the bit rate. Only way to really make it smaller. You can do that in other apps also.

You should also be able to load the files into Audacity and save with a smaller bit rate,

OP
J
Reaction score
This worked

The first thing I did was drag the icon with the 28.6mb M4a audio file to the desktop.

The OS X is Mountain Lion 10.8.2

Then I highlighted the icon, File--Quick Look

I then sent the file to my iPhone via "Message" from my laptop. The OS somehow shrunk the file automatically to 7.2mb!

I then sent the 7.2mb file to my e-mail address and from my laptop, I was able to e-mail it successfully.

I just don't know how the almost 4 fold shrinking happened, and how I can do it manually. The audio quality was acceptable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.