Ubuntu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
early 2007 White Macbook. 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 Gb ram, 120 Gb HDD. OSX 10.6.8 SL
i've always wanted to try linux, but i don,t want to risk my macbook. so i decided ill try it with my ibook g4 . i want to dual boot, i want linux, but i don't wanna lose osx tiger. i hear, to create a partition, you have to reinstall to osx too. i don't have any osx disc. is it possible to do this without losing osx
second of all, can you install linux from a usb drive on ibook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.1 ghz i5, 12 gb 1333 mhz & iPhone 4s
My experience with Linux on the Mac has always been with a virtual machine. I have only installed dual boot configurations on Windows machines, so I'm afraid I'm not much help here. However, I'm suspicious that the specs of the G4 may not be sufficient for a modern Ubuntu installation.

Anyway, I think you might get better answers to your questions at Ubuntu Forums found here. If you go into the section titled "Ubuntu Specialized Support" you will see a category for Apple users.

Good luck.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would install is via Virtualization. Sun makes a free virtualization product known as VirtualBox, and while not nearly as refined as Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion, it will do the trick without having to fuss with partitioning or dual-boot. And since few people play high-end games with Linux, there's little benefit in installing it natively.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.