How do I use Superdrive ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
More details.

MacBook, iMac or wha, type of media tand sounds like the optical drive has failed.

OP
D
Reaction score
This is a new 27 inch iMac - delivered about 22nd December 2012 ( and I was away from home from early January until now).
I am trying to instal Photoshop Elements 10 from the disc - and it is a Mac only disc. When I put the disc in the Superdrive, it stays in for a few seconds, and then ejects.
Finder/Applications shows DVD player - which has to be Superdrive, so I assume the USB connection is good.
I have tried putting a music CD in the Superdrive ; that stays in, but nothing else happens, until I go to Finder/Apps, and when I click on DVD player the disc ejects.
Does it sound as if the Superdrive is faulty ? Or am I missing out some essential step ?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You have the Apple external USB Superdrive?

All CD/DVDs are ejecting except Music ones?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It does sound like your external drive is faulty. Since it's probably a tray loader, try cleaning it carefully with a can of compressed air. Otherwise you may wind up replacing it.

OP
D
Reaction score
What I tried after your message.

You have the Apple external USB Superdrive?

All CD/DVDs are ejecting except Music ones?

I don't have any Mac specific disks except the Photoshop Elements one ;
I had only tried one music CD - now I tried another, and that one ejected automatically. So I went back and tried the first one again, and that too ejected, it is just that it kept it in a bit longer before it did that.
AS to cleaning, I had assumed that a brand new device, which I took out of its packaging, would not need dust removal ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4S, MacPro 3.3 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon /6GB RAM OSX 10.8.2, 27" display,i AirPort Extreme
It seems Apple's solution to poor OS control of the Superdrives is to drop them totally (unless you buy an external). I recently tried to burn some of my iTunes purchased music to a CD on my MacPro. Using iTunes I would select the Playlist and then select "burn" from the menu. One of my drives (I have 2) would open and the prompt would come on screen to insert a blank CD. Once the CD was in place I'd close the drive and nothing would happen. I found I had to have a blank disc in EACH Superdrive or it would not burn. Crazy.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
AS to cleaning, I had assumed that a brand new device, which I took out of its packaging, would not need dust removal ?

If you would have told us that in your first post instead of a cryptic question with little or no information, we could have saved time and told you to exchange it since it was new. ;)

OP
D
Reaction score
AppleCare tell me that my Superdrive is faulty . I did not expect that with a brand new thing, especially since is Apple is at least twice the price of the equivalent Windows kit. However I have an appointment now at the local Apple Store, and presumably will return with a new drive.

As to chsag's grumble, I do apologise - but as a new Apple user, how was I to know what is relevant and what is not ? You can always ask what you need to know - and you won't bother to read through a long message which may be full of things you consider irrelevant !

C

chas_m

I did not expect that with a brand new thing, especially since is Apple is at least twice the price of the equivalent Windows kit.

It is not "twice the price" -- there is NO equivalent Windows kit to a 27" iMac.

(but don't take my word for it -- read ANY review of the 27" iMac in ANY leading Windows magazine, let them tell you.)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This is a new 27 inch iMac - delivered about 22nd December 2012...

Does it sound as if the Superdrive is faulty ? Or am I missing out some essential step ?

Just take the computer back to Apple & have them repair it. That's why you have 12 months of Applecare.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Just take the computer back to Apple & have them repair it. That's why you have 12 months of Applecare.

- Nick

Just as a matter of principle, I object to such a procedure.Living in a rural situation, I have a one hour journey to the Apple Store, so in effect waste two half days, plus parking at £10 per time, to get their mistakes corrected. Don't they test these things ? Cynically I suppose they are built in China, at a small fraction of the cost charged to customers. O K i switched to Apple because Windows operation is so flaky, but at least there is some competition in making the hardware, and I don't think Acer or Sony would have put me to this hassle.
Black mark Apple, in my book.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just as a matter of principle, I object to such a procedure.Living in a rural situation, I have a one hour journey to the Apple Store...

Well...you can sit back with your non-working superdrive and feel comfortable sticking to your principles...or you can get off your butt and get to your nearest Apple store for repairs.:)

One hour away is absolutely nothing. Some folks here in the United States drive 90 minutes each way to work every day...a 1 hour trip (each way) for you to go to the Apple Store is no big deal whatsoever.

As far as your comments about Apple "testing these things". Have you ever heard of:

- 100% of new automobiles being defect free??
- 100% of new refrigerators being defect free??
- 100% of new televisions being defect free??
- etc. etc.

In fact...have you ever heard of any consumer product being 100% defect free?? I hardy doubt it. Thus...some (a very small number) of brand new Apple computers will/may have defects as well. Again...you have 12 months of Applecare...USE IT!!!

- Nick

p.s. If you're too "principled" to go to your local Apple Store (the whole 1 hour away)...then call Apple...and arrange to ship your computer to them for repair.

OP
D
Reaction score
er, um, I had not realised that you were so bad in USA ? Over on this side of the pond, well yes , I have heard of tvs, automobiles and refrigerators being 100% OK. Personally, I am a critical person, but I must say that, for example, I never took any of my last three automobiles back to have mistakes put right - service yes - after 25000km or whatever ( Mercedes, Audi, Honda... ) In my present home I have just replaced the whole sound system, tv, and room controls for all that stuff, now run from an iPad App., but that is after 8 years service from the original installation, and just to update the equipment...Maybe we just have better manufacturers in Europe ?
Actually, you put your finger on it - Apple should have offered to collect my duff kit and have delivered fresh working kit to me - not put me to the trouble of delivery and collection at my own expense when I paid them to supply good kit in the first place. It seems arrogant, insolent, and customer unfriendly - and Apple do have a name for this. Justified, I find.
I am enjoying this correspondence !

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
er, um, I had not realised that you were so bad in USA ?

For many folks here in the United States who live in or near a major city (New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Dallas, Atlanta, etc.)...1 hour+ commutes (each way) are not unusual or special.

And even in smaller cities...30-45 minutes each way is pretty much the norm.

Over on this side of the pond, well yes , I have heard of tvs, automobiles and refrigerators being 100% OK. Personally, I am a critical person, but I must say that, for example, I never took any of my last three automobiles back to have mistakes put right - service yes - after 25000km or whatever ( Mercedes, Audi, Honda... ) In my present home I have just replaced the whole sound system, tv, and room controls for all that stuff, now run from an iPad App., but that is after 8 years service from the original installation, and just to update the equipment...Maybe we just have better manufacturers in Europe ?

To make myself more clear...I wasn't really asking if you have ever experienced defective consumer products...what I was trying to explain was...no manufacturing operation produces 100% defect free products. It's simply impossible. Even with high quality control standards & inspections...mistakes happen...either the actual parts can have defects...or the human being (or robot) assembling the product can make mistakes. This happens with EVERY industry...automobiles, electronics, furniture, major appliances, etc.

Actually, you put your finger on it - Apple should have offered to collect my duff kit and have delivered fresh working kit to me - not put me to the trouble of delivery and collection at my own expense when I paid them to supply good kit in the first place. It seems arrogant, insolent, and customer unfriendly - and Apple do have a name for this.

Let me tell you something. Apple has ALWAYS ranked at the top (or near the top) in almost every consumer survey it is part of. If you don't like the way Apple has handled your situation...let me tell you it would have been MUCH WORSE if you were dealing with just about any other computer or technology company.

My suggestion still stands. Get in your automobile...and drive the 1 hour to your nearest Apple Store. It may be a pain in the butt...but it's what you got to do. Be thankful that you have an Apple Store JUST 1 hour away. There are many folks who do not have ANY Apple Stores in their country...or the nearest Apple Store is 2 or 3 hours away. So you are actually lucky to have an Apple Store just 1 hour away!

You can continue this conversation if you want. But if your superdrive is defective...all the "hot air" talking about it isn't going to fix it! A defective super drive is a defective super drive. Get to your local Apple Store...have them check it out...and get it repaired. "God helps those who help themselves!"

Good luck,:)

- Nick

p.s. I also wanted to mention that posting here at Mac-Forums was a great idea.:) Many times we can come up with a solution to fix many members issues. But if the situation/issue involves a defective piece of hardware...there's really nothing that can be done...other than replace the defective part. Since your computer was purchased in December (just 2 months ago)...and you have 12 months of Applecare...it only makes sense for you to take advantage of the warranty...and get it repaired (versus repairing it yourself & voiding the warranty).

M

MacInWin

Having been in the computer industry for over 40 years, there is a constant phenomenon called "infant mortality." No matter how much you test, how thoroughly you engineer, how carefully you package and ship, a certain percentage of electronic equipment will fail shortly after being put in service. Nobody can escape that phenomenon. Even simple products like light bulbs have that same phenomenon. Good manufacturers, like Apple, are better than bad manufacturers, and can therefore charge more for that lower probability, known to the public as "reliability" but even Apple will occasionally have a dud arrive at a customer location, or to have it die on first power up or fail soon after being put in service. In the case of the OP, there are several options: 1) call Apple, report the problem, ask them to ship a new Superdrive under Applecare, explaining that it's an hour drive to the nearest store, 2) drive to the store with the bad drive and exchange it there, 3) do nothing and whine about how Apple is arrogant, insolent and unfriendly, all of which are simply untrue. If you choose either of the first two, I would suggest that being friendly is much more likely to obtain your desired result than being abusive.

And as for US manufacturing, when I lived in England there was a car parts provider called Lucas who made electrical parts for your automobiles there. The head of Lucas was derisively called the "Prince of Darkness" for the many failures of those electrical components. The Queen put him on the Honours List a few years ago, so now he is the "Knight of Darkness." So before you make comments on US manufacturing, you might look around the glass house in which you live, sir.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And as for US manufacturing, when I lived in England there was a car parts provider called Lucas who made electrical parts for your automobiles there. The head of Lucas was derisively called the "Prince of Darkness" for the many failures of those electrical components. The Queen put him on the Honours List a few years ago, so now he is the "Knight of Darkness." So before you make comments on US manufacturing, you might look around the glass house in which you live, sir.

This reminded me of something. I frequently watch "Top Gear" on BBC America (episodes dating back 10+ years). Although the 3 hosts of the show seem to be 100% proud of the UK automobile industry...they frequently "snicker", hang their heads, and outwardly criticize the reliability & durability of UK built automobiles (at least automobiles built during certain time periods). Defects exist everywhere!

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4S, MacPro 3.3 GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon /6GB RAM OSX 10.8.2, 27" display,i AirPort Extreme
Guys, cut the D-man some slack. He's got 10 posts. Not a Mac expert obviously. New Mac and I expect he's frustrated because the Mac was touted as problem free - and here's the rub D-man - compared to a PC. He's chosen to vent his frustrations. Perfectly OK in my book. Most of us would not be here if the land of OSX was total nirvana. Apple's drives AND the software that run them have been a known weakness for years. Look it up. I live 20 minutes from an Apple Store but not everyone is that lucky.

And D-man: I feel your pain dude but folks here have forgotten what it's like to be a new user I guess. Once your Mac is purring the way it should have been out of the box I'm sure you'll be able to forget all the crap and wonder why you didn't make the switch to a Mac sooner. Peace.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.