Losing file data while transferring from PC to iMac

Reaction score
Hi, we just bought our first iMac to replace our PC. We have transferred our files from the PC, but now all of the original data is gone. For instance, all of our photos now say that the "Date Created" is the day that the files were transferred to our iMac, instead of the actual date that the photo was taken. This poses a big problem with having around 190 GB of photos and 100 GB of video that I am now not sure of the date that they were taken. We do still have the original photos in our PC, but I would like the original dates to be correct. Does anyone know how to properly transfer photos, videos and other files while keeping the correct data? Thank you for your help!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So, the main problem here is that you're using the filesystem's date stamp to determine the date that the picture was taken (and it's really meant to track when the file was written to the drive), rather than metadata on the image itself about when the image was taken.

What program were you using to manage the images on the PC? Are you using iPhoto to manage them on the Mac? How did you transfer the data (external drive, network connection, etc)?

OP
K
Reaction score
On the PC, I didn't use a program in order to manage the images. I just created folders and organized as I go. Since having the iMac, I haven't started using a program for managing. My husband and I haven't been impressed with iphoto (have used on his macbook pro). I believe we will be using Adobe Bridge. When we got the iMac (3 days ago) and I was setting it up, it asked if I wanted to transfer files, so I went through that process. So far I have only used the Findar in order to view the photos/videos. I have tried control clicking to see if the "info" was there but it was the same as in "Finder". Thank you for your reply!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
iPhoto is actually pretty amazing. My guess is that he hasn't given it a fair shake and/or learned how to use it. Its editing capabilities are modest, but its organization, sorting and protection mechanisms are where it really shines. I would highly recommend having a look at the help before you dismiss it.

The problem, in a nutsell, is that you're using file managers (i.e. Windows Explorer and the Finder), which are designed to manage generic files - when what you want are specifics about your photos. The same would have happened had you written those files to a new PC's hard disk. Your photos likely already have the metadata encoded within them (most decent digital cameras do this by default). You just need a management program that can understand that metadata to help take the tediousness out of the process of managing them.

As an experiment, open iPhoto and drag and drop a dozen or so of those files into its window. It should pick up the dates and automatically sort them by timeframe. That should help to get you started.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
May I just endorse what cwa107 has said. IPhoto is a powerful image organisation & management system and will use the embedded metadata to sort your photos; at the same time giving you numerous options about the way you want them sorted - by date, name and whether to split the photos over several days or keep them in one folder. There's a lot of power there. You can also create smart folders or albums where you determine the characteristics or criteria which determine which photos are included.

Even the editing side is no slouch. But if you are heavily into serious photo editing , you might consider Aperture which is an excellent app for this purpose in my opinion. You have to purchase it via the App Store, but I think it's cost is very reasonable. I don't know how it comparer in price with the Adobe product you mentioned because I don't use any of them nowadays.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.