"Date Photo Taken" to "Date Created"

Reaction score
Hi, we just bought our first iMac to replace our PC. We have transferred our files from the PC, but now all of the original data is gone. For instance, all of our photos now say that the "Date Created" is the day that the files were transferred to our iMac, instead of the actual date that the photo was taken. This poses a big problem with having around 190 GB of photos and 100 GB of video that I am now not sure of the date that they were taken. We do still have the original photos in our PC, but I would like the original dates to be correct. Does anyone know how to properly transfer photos and videos while keeping the correct data? Thank you for your help!

Reaction score
"date photo taken" to "date created'

It's a most annoying problem but you can find the date your photo was taken with this recipe. Open your image in Photoshop CS5. Then FILE menu, FILE INFO, and then choose either the DESCRIPTION tab or CAMERA DATA tab. The date the photo was taken will show up there. Cheers.

C

chas_m

That's a handy solution if you happen to have the $700+ Photoshop CS5. Meanwhile in the real world, most people don't have that.

The problem here is either that the photos were transferred over improperly, or you're not using iPhoto. Like many other photo programs, iPhoto uses the EXIF information embedded in the digital photo to determine the date, not the file date. So the file date is simply not an issue.

You can check the EXIF data on your photos by opening them in iPhoto and get info on them there. If the EXIF data hasn't been damaged, you can see it there:

iPhoto_getinfo.jpg

Reaction score
I am new to Mac and didn't know that bit about iPhoto. Thanks for the tip, it's handy for looking up info quickly.

C

chas_m

iPhoto is not the only program that can read EXIF data (by a long shot), but it is already on your computer.

Reaction score
Have a look at File Multi Tool 5. It can extract the relevant info from Exif info and overwrite the incorrect 'date created' bit. Provided you've set it to do this - which is quite easy. Good Luck

Reaction score
My apologies for not responding earlier to your reply re how to get the correct date photos were taken. Thanks very much, I'll give it a whirl! Best regards, Minnie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.