• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Can't play iPhone video on MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4S iPod Nano 6th Gen MacBook Pro (2011) -OS: OS X v.10.6.8 -Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
iPhone 4S (iOS 6.0.1) video will not play on MacBook Pro (early 2011, 10.6.8).

QuikTime = opens but time shows -00:00:00 and won't play
iMovie - won't allow as an option
Final Cut Pro X =won't allow as an option
iTunes = won't open

I've scoured the web and found nothing but nebulous ramblings that talk a lot but say nothing. Anyone know anything concrete on this? Very frustrating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 10.9.4
What's the file extension?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 4S iPod Nano 6th Gen MacBook Pro (2011) -OS: OS X v.10.6.8 -Processor: 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
All of them are .mov

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How big is it?
You could try just renaming the extension to .mp4 and see if that works (make a copy first)....
Try MxPlayer...
Try re-importing it as well... maybe the import didn't go according to plan.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I appreciate all of your suggestions, but I'm still unsuccessful.

None of the files are very big - all less than 2MB (they're short clips...2min or less). I'm fairly certain that's smaller than they were on the camera.

I renamed to mp4 and the only thing that happened is the file now opens with Adobe Fireworks - in AF, it's being treated like an image. I tried opening with QuikTime and it still shows -00:00:00 and won't play.

I can't re-import as I already deleted those files from my phone (before I knew they wouldn't play). It's the same case for multiple different imports though...all of them in fact. This seems to be a common issue...all the more reason to be baffled by the ubiquity of the issue.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did use iPhoto, do they playback in it?
If not, then your compression / import settings must be importing it as some .mov codec that sucks the big one. Try changing the import settings in your presences for future imports...

Does it open in compressor? Or Adobe Media Encoder? Cuz then you could try exporting it as something else....
If it doesn't open in them, then I'm fresh outta ideas...

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't import into iPhoto (whole different post) but just tried importing one of the files and it did same thing.

Would I change compression/import settings on MBP or iPhone?

I don't know what compressor is and never used Adobe Media Encoder before but just tried it and didn't work. Thanks for hanging with me on this bro!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Adobe Media Encoder file opens and shows that it's playing 8 seconds but it's just showing the initial image as if it were a photo...the file is also larger now 2.7MB as opposed to 892kb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Compressor came with Final Cut on my install... its like Adobe ME but by Apple.
For Adobe ME I had to download ProRes codecs to read some Apple codecs.

What application do you use to import video from your iphone?
You would need to change the import settings in that application.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also, does it have an image as the icon? (clip from the movie)
Better yet, whats the icon look like?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll have to do some reading on codecs, etc. Fairly new to all this. Thanks for the suggestions though.

I use Image Capture. I import them all into a "New Uploads" folder until I can get to them later and sort. When I double click on them in Finder, QuickTime opens.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It does have image (clip from movie) as the icon and file name example is MVI_0289.MOV

The icon is square and and just an image clip from the video. Not sure if that's what you're looking for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just looked on iPhoto how big some of my video files are and the only one comparable was 3:35mins long as was almost 300mb... if your file is less than 1mb for 2:00min clips, I'm under the impression when you imported them, they only imported as picutres...
I just recorded a 30sec clip and plugged it in to image capture and it was 21mb...
Just to see if this works, try downloading some free camera with video app, record something with it and then plug into image capture and see how big the file is to begin with... try using the apple camera as well... see how big they are before you import them...
Also, can you play the files on your phone after you record them?
I await the results...

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On it...will have an answer in a couple minutes...

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I took a 13 second clip, uploaded it via Image Capture to my desktop. It plays fine and is 36 MB. Crazy. Must be something with my iPhone video then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Was that from an external app and not the native camera?

Try doing the same thing with the apple camera or whichever app you normally use and then see how big it is from image capture, if it is itty-bitty like the ones before, then that would lead me to believe your apple camera is messed up.

If that is the case then try backing your phone up to iCloud and then restore the phone to factory settings...
and then before you restore it, try taking video with the apple camera and then see if that works with image capture...

If it goes good and the all, then that was the problem... something with the OS...

Then restore your settings and all that from icloud... you can just restore it to factory settings again and then go through the set-up process again.

Then, if it doesn't work again, you might just want to restore it again and not retrieve anything from the back-up and instead just start over by redownloading everything manually...
(which, by the way, shouldn't be the case because when you back up to icloud, the system files aren't backed-up)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just PM'ed you. Much, much, much thanks! I'll post a follow-up tomorrow.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The good news is, that when I transferred the experimental footage from my iPhone (taken with default Apple video camera) to MBP, it worked fine.

The only conclusion I have about the previous videos I've uploaded is that I must have done something in the process to cause that. Bad news is I can't reclaim the old footage and I still don't know what I did wrong to prevent in the future.

Cheers Flavacraze - you're good people bro!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.