rMBP with temperature issues plus others

Reaction score
Hi, I've had a rMBP since June 29, 2012, and it's been absolutely great. Except lately it's been heating up for no particular reason, and I get some random problems, like cursor stopping to move from time to time, the computer taking a long time to return from sleep, and one which really annoys me is the wallpaper defaulting to the same image, even though I've changed thousands of times, but when I put the computer to sleep, it may or may not go back to what I wanted.

I know that there is a problem, but I can't figure out what it is, because I haven't changed much on it and the problem has been increasing.

Attached are images of the temperature on the mac from different times, and different operations running.

On the old image (screen shot of iStat Pro) I was running Final Cut Pro X, rendering about 1 hour of 1080p h.264 video, plus I was going through many other High Def videos, all being picked up from an External Hard Drive or SD card. One can see that the temperature is high, but it's to be expected when running those tasks, and 66% CPU usage, note room temperature on that day was about 17 degrees Celsius.

On the new image (screen shot of Temperature Monitor) I was only running basic tasks, apps running were, Coda 2, Safari, MAMP, Temperature Monitor, Dropbox, Alfred plus other basic apps, I was not watching any videos, or flash content online, CPU usage was about 3% and the temperatures were still extremely high. I really don't understand what it's doing this. At the time of writing this the temperatures has dropped, but are still a bit high. Note room temperature is about 21 degrees celsius.

To resolve the problem with temperature I've tried running Fan Control applications, the only one I got to work was UltraFan, but the way it works frustrates me, because the computer goes from being silent to being extremely noisy just all of a sudden, still I kept using it because it seemed like the only way to have my computer at a temperature that wasn't uncomfortable to hold. I had been using a fan base that I left on all the time (even when the computer was off) and still the mac was always quite hot. Lastly I have reset the SMC and removed UltraFan, (I don't have my fan base with me), this has resolved the issue by a little bit, but it's still quite hot, the image new.png was taken after SMC being reset and UltraFan removed.

I'm getting quite annoyed at all of these things, they are little things, but they do get annoying.

Also trying to Screen Capture with Quick Time while demonstrating something on Photoshop CS6, is a pain, because it lags by quite a bit, this was using a Wacom Bamboo Pen and Touch tablet.

I've had other issues before, but I was still under AppleCare so I talked to them, they were still not that much help, but when I was lucky enough to get put through to a senior advisor, they'd get the problem solved.

I hope someone from here can help me, because it's getting quite frustrating. Thanks for your help in advance.

EDIT:
I have the baseline rMBP, 8GB RAM, Intel Core i7 2.3GHz, 256GB SSD, running 10.8.2

old.jpg

new.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi dede94,

Your system's anomalies may simply need curing with a 'Repair Disk Permissions' in Disk Utility so see if that can calm your cursor and wallpaper image problems.

With regards to your temperatures 21 deg C is quite a high ambient room temperature. I've noticed a marked difference in temperatures on my iMac and thus fan speed since I moved my iMac to a cooler room which is less prone to higher fluctuations.

These machines do run hot however and in my opinion your temperatures aren't unusual. From memory your machine is designed to shutdown if the CPU hits 105 deg C and your GPU hits 100 deg C.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
Looks pretty normal to me, that is about where my 2010 MBP runs.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks pendlewitch

I tried a Repair Disk Permissions the other day, and gave it some time to see if the problem persisted, at first it seemed to fix it, but today the cursor stopped again, about 2 or 3 times.
As for the Wallpaper, it seems to have fixed it.

Now as for the temperature, I am aware that this computer can take much higher temperatures, what worries me though is the fact that, I was doing pretty basic tasks.

I decided to stress test my CPU a little bit to see what would happen.
The image attached shows temperatures, when exporting a 1080p h.264 7 minute video. CPU usage went up to about 60%. Room temperature was about 18 degrees Celsius.

What worries me is that I wasn't doing something that major, and it was becoming that hot, close to the maximum for each core, and also the computer became pretty slow. I could clearly see the FPS drop, all animations were really choppy.

This also happens when trying to play games. I've tried playing Driver San Francisco for Mac, I quit everything before starting the game, but still the FPS were so low that it was unpleasant to play the game.

Note that I also get these temperatures (close to the hundreds for each core) when simply watching YouTube videos.

I know that these computers can get pretty hot, but the thing is, I didn't pay NZ$3500 for a computer to have the fans kicking in at pretty high speeds when just watching a YouTube video, and having it at a temperature that is uncomfortable to hold. This didn't happen to my 2011 MBP 13", it would only happen when playing a game. And on my 2011 13" MBA, it would get a little hotter, but nowhere near as the temperatures I'm getting on the rMBP.

Thanks

fcpx.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.