Can't install os x on an emac g4 with 1GB memory :o(

Reaction score
Hi all, I wondered if you could help me, having a little trouble here :eek:(

I've picked up an emac from a house clearance place at a market today for £5 because the seller thought it was an 'old tv' (I didn't tell him any different)

Anyway, when booted, it had no os on it, but has a mac osx install disc in it's drive. (10.5.4, aht versiopn 3a152). On booting (nice screen after initial problems), it said that the software could not be installed on the machine. I've since erased the drive and formatted it, but it still won't take it. I've done a video of it but here is a picture of the error log: (in my facebook group) http://www.facebook.com/groups/330119565983/10151499859590984/?notif_t=group_comment

And here is the video of me trying the system please leave any comments/advice you wish :eek:)

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KD5Hwtmq_k
Best regards,

Steve:(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Need more info on the eMac (cpu speed). Not all eMac's can run OS 10.5...and if it can...it also needs a min. of 512meg of ram.

Finally...even if this eMac meets the cpu & ram requirements...that disk you have may or may not be an appropriate OS install disk.

- Nick

Edit: I watched your YouTube video...and it seems that this eMac does meet the cpu & ram specs...and I saw that the computer does boot with the OS disk you have. So...the only other thing I can think of at the moment is (without seeing the disk)...if it's a "gray" disk meant for a different model Mac...then it won't work on this computer. The gray disks are model specific.

OP
R
Reaction score
Need more info on the eMac (cpu speed). Not all eMac's can run OS 10.5...and if it can...it also needs a min. of 512meg of ram.

Finally...even if this eMac meets the cpu & ram requirements...that disk you have may or may not be an appropriate OS install disk.

- Nick

Hi Nick and thanks :eek:)

It's a 1ghz system with 1gb of memory. I've put a picture of the disk it'self in my Facebook group: Photos of RetroGamerVX, Retro gaming and vintage computers on FaceBook and YouTube | Facebook

Regards,

Steve

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've put a picture of the disk it'self in my Facebook group:

I checked out the photo...and the disk looks pretty non-specific. Some of them will say the generic model computer they are from (Powermac G4, iBook, eMac, Powerbook, etc.).

These gray disks used to ship with Apple computers when new...and MANY of them look exactly the same...but they only work with the computer model that they originally shipped with.

So...given the fact that there are many many different gray disks (that all look very similar)...the chances that this gray disk is exactly the one this eMac needs is pretty slim.

Also...given that you only paid £5 for this computer...you don't want to know how much the proper 10.5 OS install disk would cost!!;) Here in the US...they cost $75 to $100.

- Nick

p.s. The only other thought I have is (if this is the proper disk...which would be a longggg shot)...is maybe there's a problem with the hard drive...and that's why your getting the "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer" message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It is a 2003 eMac and 1GB of memory is all it can handle. The Leopard OS X.5 DVD needs to be a black retail install DVD and not a silver grey model specific disk. From your description sure sounds like a system install version. A retail version will set you back about $80-100. Tiger OS X.4 will be cheaper but make sure you get the PowerPC version and not Intel. Again the black disc is a must.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok...I just thought of something else. I can 99.99% guarantee that the disk you have is not the correct one.

This eMac when it first shipped...shipped with OS 10.2.5 (three versions before OS 10.5). This model eMac was discontinued April, 2004.

OS 10.5 wasn't released until October, 2007 (three years AFTER this eMac was discontinued)...so there is no way a gray disk with OS 10.5 on it was ever made for a 1.0ghz model eMac. It's not the correct disk. Sorry.:(

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
I checked out the photo...and the disk looks pretty non-specific. Some of them will say the generic model computer they are from (Powermac G4, iBook, eMac, Powerbook, etc.).

These gray disks used to ship with Apple computers when new...and MANY of them look exactly the same...but they only work with the computer model that they originally shipped with.

So...given the fact that there are many many different gray disks (that all look very similar)...the chances that this gray disk is exactly the one this eMac needs is pretty slim.

Also...given that you only paid £5 for this computer...you don't want to know how much the proper 10.5 OS install disk would cost!!;) Here in the US...they cost $75 to $100.

- Nick

p.s. The only other thought I have is (if this is the proper disk...which would be a longggg shot)...is maybe there's a problem with the hard drive...and that's why your getting the "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer" message.

Yes, they are a bit cheaper over here, but not much :eek:( I've put a link to the picture of the progress/error codes below and I'll put it here too: (on Flickr )1.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Looking at that, several people believe it's the hard drive causing problems ?

Steve

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...several people believe it's the hard drive causing problems ?

Did you see my latest post in this thread (post #6)?

I'm pretty darn positive that the gray disk you have is not meant for this model eMac.

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Did you see my latest post in this thread (post #6)?

I'm pretty darn positive that the gray disk you have is not meant for this model eMac.

- Nick

Sorry Nick, missed that, not all replies are coming through to me straight away. Yes, other people seem to think that so it looks like I'll have to seek out a copy (already been putting feelers out).

Thanks again,

Steve

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry Nick, missed that, not all replies are coming through to me straight away. Yes, other people seem to think that so it looks like I'll have to seek out a copy (already been putting feelers out).

Good deal...and good luck!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Isn't there a way to extract an install copy of the generic OS version from one of those DVDs. I swear I remember reading about that somewhere. You already have the software so from a legal standpoint I think you technically have the license if you're concerned about those things. Then again, I'm not a lawyer! :eek:

If you have another PPC machine lying around you could put it into target disk mode, connect a FireWire cable to it, and then try to boot off the target disk. That way you could check out the system and see if it's in good working order before tossing money at an OS DVD.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not a legal standpoint but a physical one. The drivers etc on a system install disc, the silver/grey DVD's that came with a computer when new, are for that precise model only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.