hard drive not being recognized w/PB 1.67ghz...please help

B

butchdiesel

computer was being very slow so i decided to power off, then restart.

powerup - i press the power button and seconds later the screen shows a folder with a blinking mac icon and question mark. computer does not start up.

i put in my original powerbook disc and hold 'c' to boot from it...

i then go to disk utility in hopes that i will be able to repair the hard drive.

the only thing that shows up in disk utility is the dvd-rom drive, no hard drive. computer does not recognize the hard drive.

i open up the powerbook to make sure the hard drive cable somehow didn't get disconnected, but no luck, it's still connected.

ehhh this sucks. any ideas on what the heck has happened to my powerbook?

OP
J

jn4jenny

Sounds like a classic case of hard drive failure. If you have AppleCare, then Apple will fix it. If not, you can probably still convince them to fix it with their flat-rate repair service (was about $325 when my hard drive/logic board needed fixing.) The question is whether or not they'll refuse your service since you opened the Powerbook. :(

Reaction score
If your handy and have no APPLE CARE then just put a new one in yourself (the cheeper option).

Would maybe be a good idea to test the old one first to see if it's all working and that it is just the HD that's broke. Disconnect the HD out of the powerbook and try it as a slave drive in your G5.!!

OP
B

butchdiesel

Mr Bobbins said:
If your handy and have no APPLE CARE then just put a new one in yourself (the cheeper option).

Would maybe be a good idea to test the old one first to see if it's all working and that it is just the HD that's broke. Disconnect the HD out of the powerbook and try it as a slave drive in your G5.!!

hmmm how can i hook it up to my g5? cord seems too small.

Reaction score
butchdiesel said:
hmmm how can i hook it up to my g5? cord seems too small.
Sorry, I thought it would have the same connection. Back to the drawing board. :dummy:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.