Reformatting from discs (iMac OS 9. How to save current OS 10.1.4?

Reaction score
Hello :)

I'm new to Apple products, but a user of Windows since early 90's. I've reformatted my share of computers, but this iMac stuff seems to be from a different universe!

I've researched the reformatting part and feel fairly comfortable with it, but I'm not sure if there's a way to save the updated OS already on the computer.

This is the first time I've ever even touched an Apple computer, and if I can manage this reformat, it will make my week!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Why do you want to reformat it

OP
L
Reaction score
That's a good question :) I want the computer in like-new condition.

C

chas_m

When you say "like-new condition," do you mean:

a. I am giving this computer to someone else and I want it to be as though they are starting it up for the first time, OR

b. I want to keep it running like it did when it was new.

If the latter, please see the essay linked in my signature. Bottom line: as harryb said, Macs aren't PCs. Keep some HD space free at all times, make routine backups, run a little maintenance occasionally, that's all you really NEED to do.

I also recommend OnyX as harryb did.

If the former, we can advise you further on that. It's not difficult but does not necessarily require reformatting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
This is the first time I've ever even touched an Apple computer, and if I can manage this reformat, it will make my week!

Better yet, use the time you would have spent doing this interacting with people you love! ;)

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for all the fast and thoughtful replies. I do understand that I don't necessarily *need* to reformat the computer. My sons will be using it (after I'm done) for homework, music, and gaming. I enjoy learning new things, so once I start with a like-new computer, I will start playing with apps, settings, etc.

I'll definitely install Onyx, though. It sounds like a good tool :)

Messing with computers has been a hobby/ obsession with me since I completely destroyed the one my big sister sent me because I didn't know about virus protection :) Some people surf the net for fun, I research solutions to computer problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You can create a fresh system without reformatting

If you have the admin password for that Imac (the password for the current User account) then you can create a new admin user in System Preferences > Accounts

You'll have a fresh new user account you can configure and then decide later if you want to delete the old user account

You could even have two new accounts, one for you and one for your son.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.