BOOTCAMP cannot start windows

Reaction score
I have a 2009 macbook pro 15'' with Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and Bootcamp 5.0, and recently have been having problems using bootcamp. From a few years now, I have Windows 7 installed with Bootcamp and never had any problems until now. I can start the computer in OS X with no problems, but when I restart and press the option key and it lets me choose between Macintosh HD, Windows and some recovery thing. The problem is: no matter which option I choose it always boots on Macintosh HD. I tried rebooting several times and it keeps happening the same. Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are two places that you can check the startup setting: First in System Preferences, Startup. The second, which might be the one that's causing it always to boot to the MacIntosh HD, is in the Windows Control Panel Boot Camp startup setting.

You might also wish to give the free boot startup utility "rEFIt" a try.

OP
J
Reaction score
I think you didn't understand the problem, or maybe i didn't understand what you said, but my problem is not about which system should it boot by default. The problem is that when I try to choose the OS to boot manually (by restarting and pressing Option Key, and choosing Windows) it always boots to Mac OS.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I understood perfectly what you were saying in your post. However, you need to check the defaults as I indicated above. That has to be part of the trouble shooting regimen if you're going to resolve the problem. If the defaults are set correctly, then something else is at work we need to find. The "rEFIt" option is something you can either ignore or choose to try out later on.

OP
J
Reaction score
Ok, sorry then.
I can only check the first one, since I obviously cannot access the Windows Control Panel Boot Camp, and it is as it should be. I'll see what "rEFIt" does.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something else occurred to me when I read through your last post again. It's possible the Windows 7 boot sector has gone south. I've had this happen several times in the past. (Which would be a reason you can not boot to Windows 7) What you might try doing is a repair of Windows 7 using your original Windows 7 DVD. It's not an easy repair but Microsoft does have instructions to follow in their knowledge base.

Essentially what you need to do is boot your MBP with the Windows 7 DVD and choose the Boot Camp partition to repair. The danger here of course is that you do not accidentally "repair" your Mountain Lion partition.

See this LINK and let me know if this works for you. It's certainly worth a try and easier than reinstalling. Make sure you have a backup of your OS X partition before doing the repair.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hello again. So, I was trying to burn the Windows 7 DVD (don't have the older one with me now), but when I insert the blank DVD in the Drive it tries to read for a while and then automatically ejects it. I'm trying to use a blank DVD-RW, and I think it should work because in my computer info it says the supported types are:
"CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL"
Do you think this problem might be related to the previous one?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I doubt the problem with burning a Windows 7 DVD is related to not being able to boot to Windows 7. What are you using for the source? I'm assuming here that you have the original Windows 7 iso? And as far as using a DVD RW, it shouldn't matter but I would try using a DVD+R or DVD-R instead.

OP
J
Reaction score
Again, I think you didn't understand what I said. It doesn't matter if the Windows 7 iso is original or not, since right after I insert any blanc DVD the MBP ejects it.
But I managed to solve the original problem, by installing Parallels, booting the Boot Camp partition from there, and then repairing the disk. Afterwards when I restarted the MBP I finally managed to Boot to Windows.
Thanks for the help chscag.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.