Finding hard drive space

Reaction score
I am trying to see how much of my 3TB drive I am using. I know how to get the info for individual folders like music, documents etc but I want to see the overall picture. I have a new 27" i'Mac with the latest ML OS.
In case it isn't obvious I have just switched over from PC. This is my very first Mac.
Thank you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Try this...

Go to the Apple menu and choose "About this Mac". Then click "More Info". Click the "Storage" tab at the top and it should give you a synopsis of how much space is being used.

You may also want to set the Finder preferences so that "Hard Disks" are displayed on the desktop - this way you can just "Get Info" on your system drive and see how much space it has remaining.

There are also a lot of good third party tools to analyze your disk usage. The one I recommend is called WhatSize.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Highlight/"click on" your hard drive icon (desktop)...then use the two-key shortcut..."Command + I" keys.

This will provide you with a bunch of info...including how much is being used.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Grand Perspective gives a good graphical view of your hard drivel:
GrandPerspective

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My favorite is also WhatSize but perhaps he can use Disk Inventory X which is still free. Grand Perspective is likewise Open Source and free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.