Cracked MacBook Pro casing (glowing apple), and white line on screen

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post, but I've used these forums many times to help me sort out problems with my MacBook.

Basically, I have no idea how this happened but somehow I've managed to crack the glowing apple on the back of my early 2010 13 inch MacBook pro screen casing. I'm not that bothered about the fact it's cracked (superficial damage is annoying, but I can't afford to worry about it), however there is how a white glowing line in the middle of the screen, which is pretty annoying. If I press just lightly on the cracked bit of the case, the white line gets brighter, and fades back when I let go, as you'd expect. Here is the white line, just under the 'log out' button, though it's brighter than it looks on the photo:

3c151281ca40fb22d9b8ad3aae65475a.png

My question is, is this white line permanent, or is it caused by pressure from the cracked casing? Here is a photo of the cracked casing:

b3b30a4ab0c07b1273ecb5da9770e50c.png

As you can see, part of the cracked bits sort of overlaps the other, which I thought could be causing the pressure on the screen. So, is it likely that I'll need to replace just the screen casing, or the screen, or both? Or would it be possible for me to manually release the pressure on the screen, removing the white line? I can live with the cracked case, but I can't with the line on the screen! I presume if I go to the apple store they'll just tell me that I'll need to replace the screen and casing which will cost £700 or so?

Thanks very much for your help, apologies if I'm using the wrong terminology or anything like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What model and year is it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hard to say whether it's permanent. Clearly there was a focused, hard blow to the back of the screen. It's a miracle the panel didn't crack. I'd imagine if it hasn't gone away after several hours of use, it probably is here to stay - though I've never seen a situation like this that didn't crack the panel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.