trash deletes files immediately

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook
Suddenly, when I drag a file to the Trash from my dekptop, I get a warning, "Are you sure you want to delete “XYZ File”? This item will be deleted immediately. You can’t undo this action." I wasn't having this problem Monday.

I have done the whole terminal and type

mkdir ~/.Trash

says file aleready exists, so i typed

sudo chown $UID ~/.Trash

then it asks for my password. the problem is, there is no password. The password is...nothing. It's my work computer and I was told to leave the password blank when I set it up. and the command line does not seem to accept the fact that there is no password.

So what now?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Check to see what the ownership of the ~/.Trash folder is by doing "ls -l ~/.Trash" at the command line. "sudo" requires a password, there's no way around that..and not having a password as a work policy is silly..

I am the only user on my computer and it is set to log me in automatically on power-up, but I still have a password that I must used to perform any admin tasks..

Are you logging into your Mac as a regular user or as Root??

OP
jediracer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook
Ok, thanks. I actually opened up preferences, made myself a password, then did the command line, logged out, logged back in and now it (the trash) seems to be working correctly. Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.