Is there any way I can listen to my iTunes library with my PowerBook closed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Hi all, while in the car, around the house, etc., I find myself listening to iTunes my PowerBook (somewhat better sound quality than my iPod, and usually I'm just to lazy to get up and get it). However, I'd like to be able to close it up when I don't need to look at the screen, problem is, whenever I close it, it goes to sleep. So does anyone know of a way to do this? Software or hardware is good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5 17 inch w/ 1 gig of ram, 6 gb ipod mini, and 12" Powerbook G4
to_tough_to_die said:
Hi all, while in the car, around the house, etc., I find myself listening to iTunes my PowerBook (somewhat better sound quality than my iPod, and usually I'm just to lazy to get up and get it). However, I'd like to be able to close it up when I don't need to look at the screen, problem is, whenever I close it, it goes to sleep. So does anyone know of a way to do this? Software or hardware is good.
No, as far as i know there is no way to do this. The only way i know to use the powerbook with it closed is using an external monitor... So i would say no.

J

jn4jenny

to_tough_to_die said:

This isn't recommended even if you COULD do it. It's true that the Powerbook dissipates most of its heat through the bottom, but there's still the strong possibility that the heat of running the system with the lid closed could cause overheating or damage your LCD.

My recommendation is to buy an iSkin to keep dust out of your keys and just leave the PB open with the screen dimmed all the way. Total cost: $19.99. Total damage to your computer: None.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
And having your screen closed would dampen the sound a lot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
jn4jenny said:
This isn't recommended even if you COULD do it. It's true that the Powerbook dissipates most of its heat through the bottom, but there's still the strong possibility that the heat of running the system with the lid closed could cause overheating or damage your LCD.
No, not true. iBooks shouldn't be run with the lid closed, but the PowerBook works fine with the lid closed, and this mode is officially supported by Apple.

There's really no way to do it, though, unless you plug in an external mouse. The PowerBook can't be awoken with the lid closed without one. I suppose you could plug one in, carefully position the pointer over the iTunes "Play" button, close the lid, and then click the mouse (once to wake it up, wait, and then again to start playing) but that's kind of awkward. :mac:

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
macAttack said:
And having your screen closed would dampen the sound a lot

Headphones my good man, headphones...

Oh well, guess it's a not the greatest idea...

S

sdilley14

My roomate has an IBook and we use it when we throw parties to listen to music (IBook to surround sound system) and we've been able to listen to it while the lid was closed.

Reaction score
Using your power book with the lid closed will not damage the powerbook, it is supported by Apple, as technologist said. See:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88064

As for listening to music, it would be arkward, the best idea i can think off is to dim the screen all the way down and then just close the lid as much as possible without actually locking it down so it goes to sleep.

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

If you do a search you will find that there are a few programs that will allow you to play music when your computer is closed. it basically works so that when you close the computer it doesnt let the computer go to sleep.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 17" 1.67 GHz 1.5 GB RAM 100GB 60GB 5G iPod
I believe there is a program called "Sleepless" which renders the auto-sleep mechanism useless. I'm not 100% sure it works though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Yes, Sleepless works fine.

There's nothing wrong with listening to music while the lid is closed, the Powerbook doesn't release enough heat out of the keyboard to damage an LCD, unlike the iBooks. Whenever I had my 12 inch Powerbook, I took it on a trip and basically used it like an iPod. Lid closed and headphones coming out of my backpack. Just download Sleepless and give it a spin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook super
Sleepless:
ATTENTION! Using your Mac with closed lid can lead to serious system heat problems!
:D

I

informixtc

It won't damage the newer powerbook series as long as you don't move it around if it is awake. 'Sleepless' does work partially. It does prolong the use of powerbook after lid being closed, but only up to 4 minutes. I asume the author is working on this problem.

I am really looking forward for this function on my powerbook 12" :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.