Macbook Pro 1.1 with older Sony trinitron

Reaction score
I've read a lot of posts on here about the issues of using newer macbook pros with Sony Triniton as monitors but haven't seen any posts about using a macbook pro 1.1
with a Sony Trinitron. I bought a monoprice adapter with all the proper connectors but am getting nothing. Is there a simple apple solution DVI to VGA for the older Macbooks?
I'm sure there could be something wrong with my parts, the hookup ect but I'm not getting the Macbook to recognize there's a another display available. Doesn't make sense to upgrade to a newer TV without a newer computer.

GV

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since the Sony Trinitron monitor is a CRT type monitor and has standard RCA inputs, you can probably use a DVD to RCA style converter. Not sure it would work right but maybe you can find one from these examples and then order it from monoprice.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
So the TV doesn't have a DVI input in the back? I used to have a Trinitron and it had DVI in the back and my MBP is from mid 2008. I used a DVI-DVI plug and it worked fine.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My first question - did you pick up the Sony remote and hit the "Input" button to change it to the input you're using for your Mac?

What adapter/connectors/cable did you get?

OP
G
Reaction score
Okay, it finally worked. It's a Monoprice adapter and I have numerous cables. There are two little switches on the adapter that have to be pushed down and then the Mac recognized there was another display so I could mirror. After that I finally got the Svideo cable and the yellow video cable to work but the VGA cable seems to be defective. Which is a bit of a bummer as it would probably be a better pic. But after much manipulation of these tiny saturation, contrast, hue, and more buttons the pic is pretty good if soft. For $30 I can watch Hulu and Netflix. Woo hoo! Thanks for all your input it helped me think this through. ( You think this one is old..my 12 inch macbook running Tiger is still alive)
GV
15 Macbook ProMacBookPro1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
2 GHz 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz 10.6.8 Leopard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.