Adding applications to a sub folder in the application folder

Reaction score
I just updated my macbook to OSX 10.8.2 and I am having trouble in the application folder. Before the update I had all my applications in sub folders in the Application folder. Now it will not let me move the apps into the sub folder. It will only copy the app into the folder and leave the existing app where it is.

Please help,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not recommended to use sub folders for the placement of your applications as that may very well prevent them from being updated automatically. Besides, it's not necessary. This is not Windows. Sub folders under "Program Files" in Windows is required, but not in OS X.

If you need to move applications into folders for easy launching and for neatness, create aliases of the applications and put them into folders on the right side of your Dock.

OP
T
Reaction score
When it comes to the updates its not a big concern of mine cause I look to update my computer frequently. Im not really a fan of having on the right of the dock that is why I'm trying to find out if I can rearrange it with sub folders. I liked how I had my computer set up before I updated.

C

chas_m

I have sub-folders in my Applications folder, have never had any issue with it, and I'm running 10.8.2.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
When it comes to the updates its not a big concern of mine cause I look to update my computer frequently.

Say what? Do you mean you update the computer more often than the software?

Updating software is when this can be an issue, as you've discovered. Sorry, I don't know why it's leaving a copy behind. But then, I don't know exactly how you're going about it either.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have sub-folders in my Applications folder, have never had any issue with it, and I'm running 10.8.2.

I do too, but they were created by the installed software. (Microsoft Office is one example.) I don't think that's what the OP was referring to though. It sounds like he was grouping applications in sub folders for convenience or neatness. I could be wrong about that.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Say what? Do you mean you update the computer more often than the software?

Updating software is when this can be an issue, as you've discovered. Sorry, I don't know why it's leaving a copy behind. But then, I don't know exactly how you're going about it either.

nor which applications you're talking about.

Keep some of mine in sub-folders - only those that are drag and drop install - I don't move any apps into sub-folders that have their own installer unless the installer provides the option to specify where they are to be installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.