Desktop and fonts not as clear as Windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini with 16GB RAM
Okay, so here's my first disappoint with my Mac Mini. I have a Windows 7 PC connected to the same monitor (PC via DVI and Mac Mini via HDMI). Both displaying at 1080p resolution.

The Windows 7 desktop looks crisp and clear. The fonts are ultrasharp and neat. The Mac Mini desktop looks a but bland and out-of-date. The display is a little rough and blurry on shape edges and the fonts don't look clear. Even as i'm typing this post into Firefox on my Mac Mini, the text is not sharp and clear.

I really was under the impression that the Mac interface was all about the graphics! Any ideas on whether this is just something I have to live with or whether it can be improved?

C

chas_m

You can certainly adjust the font crispness in the appearance control panel.

You may want to also adjust the gamma on the Mac mini -- Macs have a higher (superior) gamma to PCs and since you're used to the darker PC standard it may not "look right" to you until you adjust this, which you do under "displays" in System Preferences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What type of monitor is it? I've had a blurry font problem when using HP monitors (and I believe there was someone else on this forum that had a similar blurry font problem on another HP monitor)
Mac Screen Looking Blurry? Optimize & Troubleshoot Font Smoothing in Mac OS X
I tried everything on that page and the monitor still looked horrible. The only reason I know that it was the monitor was because I hooked the same computer to a Dell monitor and everything looked fine.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's a Dell 2709W connected at 1920x1200 (via HDMI for the Mac Mini).

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A quick update: i've actually turned OFF LCD font smoothing and it is a little better, but still a far cry in terms of clarity from my Windows 7 desktop.

M

MacInWin

Have you tried the mac into the DVI port? That is the real way to compare apples and apples. Not saying it will be the fix, but just thought that maybe the port is somehow contributing.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried the mac into the DVI port? That is the real way to compare apples and apples. Not saying it will be the fix, but just thought that maybe the port is somehow contributing.

No, I have not yet. I'm not sure how i'd connect it to my second DVI-D inout on my monitor. I have an HDMI to DVI adapter in the box that the Mac mini came in. I guess I would still use the HDMI out and then the adaper and then a DVI cable to the monitor?

In the meantime I have done a quick calibration of the display and the colours and contrast have vastly improved. But I guess I should try DVI-D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Also, what is the screen resolution coming from your Mac Mini? You can change it in System Settings under Displays.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^ It's 1920 x 1200 which is native resolution of the my monitor.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
[SOLVED] I finally resolved my font clarity issue. I used the supplied HDMI to DVI-D lead and used the DVI-D input on my monitor. The difference was remarkable. The display is very sharp and clear now, It does seem that HDMI to HDMI is really only useful for video. DVI-D works very well for text.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.