Can't sync need advice

Reaction score
I can no longer sync my i-phone via i-Tunes with my i-Mac after a recent I-phone IOS upgrade. Told that I need a newer version of I-Tunes, but in order to do that need to upgrade my Mac IOS to Snow Leopard.

I am concerned that the upgrade to Snow Leopard will create software compatibility problems. Especially concerned about Adobe Suite CS4 and MW Word, 2008 (v.12.3.5). I have neither the time nor money to invest in new software or software fixes, so hoping someone can offer guidance and advice.

Related to that, wondering why I-phone did not include a warning message about update incompatibilities with the free IOS upgrade. I notice on the web that many others did the same thing and now face a similar problem.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

The newer versions of iOS and iDevices need the newer versions of iTunes which requires the newer versions of OS X. If you are unable or unwilling to upgrade your OS to get the newer version of iTunes, you will have to revert back to the older version of iOS on your iDevice and continue using it as you had been.

If you know which version you were at before and which version you've upgraded, you can google the necessary instructions to go back to the older version..

OP
E
Reaction score
finding former version

Thanks. Is there an easy way to figure out which version of I-phone IOS I had before the recent download?

By the way, when I suggested this plan of going back in time to the Apple Bar genius at my local Apple store, all I I got was a startled look and "no". Glad to know it was a sound idea.

Do you happen to know anything about Loepard and software compatibility in case I have to take that approach?
E

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since you've already upgraded, it isn't easy to say what was on there before as it entirely depends on whether you've been upgrading with each release of iOS or not..

Also, there is no "official" way of going back to an older version of iOS, the method of downgrading usually involves having 2 key pieces, 1) the iOS firmware for the previous version and 2) a backup of your phone on THAT version of iOS to restore to.

Not having the 2nd piece means that you could downgrade but would be left with a pristine clean iPhone without any of your information. Not having the 1st locally is inconvenient since you have to go searching for that binary. Any instructions you find about downgrading will address both these situations and tell you what exactly to look for.

One of the primary requirements for Snow Leopard is an Intel-based Mac. Tell us what Mac you have and we can tell you if this is even an avenue you can pursue.

OP
E
Reaction score
Wow, you are great. Many thanks
My Mac is intel based (2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo). I know my machine will accept Snow Leopard, just not sure my software will cooperate. Could be a problem for me because I am in the middle of a large project that requires my current versions of Office Suite and Adobe Suite CS4.

In the meantime, I have done some research and watched a video about how to downgrade my iphone IOS 6 to IOS 5.1.1. Problem is that I do not have the required saved SHSH. Not sure why I don't, but none showed up when I launched Tiny Umbrella. I don't want to make matters worse, so decided to not mess around finding SHSH. If you know where they might be or how and why they would or would not be saves, I'd like to know more. (I realize they are not talking about Sushi, but checked my refrigerator just in case…kidding.)

With gratitude,
E

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As inconvenient as it might be not to be able to sync your iPhone to the iMac, being in the middle of important stuff you probably want to push this off until a quieter time.

Unlike Lion/Mountain Lion, Snow Leopard allowed a lot of applications that run under Leopard to continue to operate without any problems. Lion essentially killed all PPC support, so universal application from the Leopard or earlier era just stopped working immediately..

Once you are in a quiet period, perhaps you can try to do an upgrade to Snow Leopard and deal with any issues surrounding Office and Adobe Suite..

As far as the SHSH goes..I only downgraded my iPhone 3G a long time ago and have forgotten the steps I went through..so I can't answer that decisively..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.