Imac might need updating [hardware]..

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So my dad has a 2011 IMAC with the newest os and its been freezing on him a lot. I really dont think it's software related because we've done most of the maintenance work on it already and are still having similar issues.

Im beginning to suspect upping the ram might be the best place to start but I wanted to ask everyone here what they thought first. He is using 8gb now but uses paralleles for running xp which im sure uses a lot of resources from the mac.(it is mac thats freezing btw and not windows, usually) Mainly I wanted to ask because my dad wants to buy ram through apple which is nearly 400 for 16gb. Tiger direct is around 150-200. Is the ram from apple special in anyway?

If the ram doesn't work, not an expert, but I was going to suggest that the next upgrade he could try would be installing a solid state drive. Do you think this could help also?

Last on my list was to up the graphics but I doubt that really plays an important role since his work is mostly personal use like Microsoft office etc. But would this be something we should consider too?

I hope this was the right place to post, I think this is more of a hardware issue as his ram is most likely outdated which is causing the frequent freezing up. He's basically screaming at his machine now and I'm the one who recommended to him buying mac (which I would always still do :) )

anyways, thank you all for your help! Any input you guys have is always great!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So my dad has a 2011 IMAC with the newest os and its been freezing on him a lot. I really dont think it's software related because we've done most of the maintenance work on it already, and still is having similar issues.

"Freezing" is a very generic term...so it would help if you could describe with more detail exactly when it is freezing.

Generally speaking...freezing can occur due to:

- bad/unstable software or software conflicts
- defective hardware

And with Macintosh computers...many times the application will "Unexpectantly Quit" (message from the OS)...which will not completely "freeze" the computer.

You really don't want it to be defective hardware...because in almost all cases (except for maybe ram and hard drive)...you cannot do anything about it. Software on the other hand can cause "freezing"...and to figure this out...you need to find out what application or combination of applications (being run at the same time) are causing the freezing (and this can be a headache of an experiment trying to figure it out).

Im beginning to suspect upping the ram might be the best place to start but I wanted to ask everyone here what they thought first.

The only way to test this theory is to have good replacement ram to do the test. If the same problem happens with new (good) ram...then it's not the ram.

He is using 8gb now but uses paralleles for running xp which im sure uses a lot of resources from the mac.(it is mac thats freezing btw and not windows, usually)...

This maybe true (that the freezing occurs when running Windows)...but you have to remember that Windows (on your dad's Mac) is being run in emulation via Parallels...so the problem could also be Parallels.

Mainly I wanted to ask because, my dad wants to buy ram through apple which is nearly 400 for 16gb. Tiger direct is around 150-200. Is the ram from apple special in anyway?

No ram from Apple is not special in any way...and it's usually much more expensive. We almost always recommend purchasing ram from:

- OWC
- Crucial

If the ram doesn't work, not an expert, but I was going to suggest that the next upgrade he could try would be installing a solid state drive. Do you think this could help also?

It's always possible that the HD is causing problems...but if I was a betting person...I would say unlikely. But again (just like the ram)...you need to install a known (good) HD or SSD to test the theory.

Last on my list was to up the graphics but I doubt that really plays an important role since his work is mostly personal use like Microsoft office etc. But would this be something we should consider too?

There's nothing you can really do here. The graphics on 2011 iMac's is not upgradeable in any way...so you go what you got.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.