Maxtor 500GB is not showing in Disk utility

Reaction score
Hi All...i need a help...My maxtor 500GB External hard disk is not showing in disk utility since last two weeks...i tried lot of possible ways to solve the issue but still i couldnt solve it..tried to reconnect other Computers...waited for more that 24 hours but not mounting...formatted my IMAC...tried with Paragon NTFS 3g...changed my USB cables...i need to take my valuable data's. can any one one please help to Solve this issue.:-:)-:)Angry:

IMAC late 2009, 20 Inch,Version 10.6.8

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums

What happens when you plug the drive into other computers? Does the drive spin up normally when plugged into power? Do the USB ports you are plugging into work with other USB devices?

OP
V
Reaction score
Hey thanks for your reply.....yes its spinning normally...and no issues in power on..and i connected the USB cable with other HD it is working without any issues...so no issues in USB cable..i tried in PC and other which is 10.5.6 but no response ...HD is not detecting...even i reseted the PRAM...any solution.....??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like the Maxtor has gone to drive heaven.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If other PCs aren't detecting this drive as well, there might be an issue with the enclosure. Depending on how easy it is, you might want to pull the HD out of there and see if you can plug it into a PC and talk to it that way. If that doesn't work either, then Harry might be right and the drive might have failed.

If there is valuable data on it and it's inaccessible through all the means you have, you might have to explore professional data recovery which can be quite costly..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.