HP Photosmart 5510 prints but won't scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is probably a dumbkopf Q. but our scanner/printer won't scan. HP Photosmart 5510. It connects fine to both puters for printing, but when we try to scan (by using the touch-screen on the printer) it shows an error message:

'No Computer Found. Make sure the printer software is installed on your computer, and that 'scan to computer' is enabled through the printer software'

Perhaps we just need the driver software? But where from? I did a disc search for [photosmart] and [5510] and nothing is showing.

We are running Snow Leopard on my 2 year old imac, Lion on my wife's new one.

For printing we just connected it and started, it did the rest. Worked just fine as a printer straight away.

We are connected via USB, altho we have a VirginMedia router and it's supposed to work wirelessly. We have an old house with thick walls. May get BT Homehub, it's supposed to be better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You need to go to the HP site, download and install the Photosmart 5510 full feature driver software.

Once that's installed you'll also need the critical update from the same location.

If you want to go wireless the install routine will also talk you through setting that up.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks Mr Plow. The only trouble is the scanner update is only for OSX version 10.7 on. I'm running OS 10.6.8. Do you know where I can get that from please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That particular update is to resolve an issue the printer has with Lion so you don't need that.

The important one for you is that you get and install the full feature driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.