Bootcamp: Save yourself possibly hours of time:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
To tobafemi: yes, put in your SL disk once you are running Windows. Drivers should install automatically.

Cheers

Reaction score
I just installed windows xp-pro and found that following the instructions from apple is pretty good.

One of the thing I ran into tho was about pressing the options key when restarting the computer to switch between OS's on boot up.

I ttook me a long time to find that out because it is assumed that everyone knows this.

Another is if you have a hard time ejecting the cd drive when in windows OS press command and E at same time. This should eject your disk because it seems that the eject button on your MBP doesn't work.

Also you may want to get a bluetooth mouse as the touch pad on the MBP doesn't seem to let you right click.

Finally read as much as you can, many handy tips and tricks can be found if you take the time to uncover them.

Put the most up to date OS disk you have in and it will do the rest. Some glitches but I am working on it.

I am still working on driver updates etc as where I am has no wireless atm. I bet that is not going to go smoothly but alas part of the charm of a MB is learning how to use it.

Reaction score
To Eject a disk, Command+E. Or the key at the right top row of the keyboard that has the eject symbol (a triangle over a bar) on it. Or if you shut down, then hold down the left mouse key while you boot until the disk pops out.

Reaction score
What am i doing wrong? Xp keeps crashing

Ok, in a matter of a few months I've had THREE windows crashes.:Shouting: Two from my XP Virtual Machine and one from my bootcamp partition (which I run mostly as a Virtual machine) Using VM Ware Fusion 3.

What could I be doing that is causing this... I don't think it's a bug issue... I'm running Norton Corporate and use windows for business only... legit websites, no untrustworthy downloads, no funky websites... any thoughts anyone? This is MOST frustrating... my boss is now saying... "well it's cuz you have a mac, they're just not compatible" Howabout your stupid brain is not compatible.:Evil:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, OS X v. 10.6.8, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
I want to use Boot Camp to install Windows on my MB, but every time I run boot camp it says I need to format my HD as a "Single Mac OSX Extended (Journal) Volume". I checked my Disk Utility and that's how it's set up now. So I'm really confused as to what to do.

Reaction score
Question: What do I do with the BootCamp 3.1 32bit file I downloaded for WIndows 7? Like, how do I get it to update from BootCamp 2.0 in my Applications/Utilities folder?? It appears that you need to install this 374 Meg .exe file, but HOW??
Why does Software Update not update the BootCamp program? I haven't a clue what to do.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Boot Camp 2.x supporting software is included with Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard). It is installed by inserting your System Disc 1 or Leopard Disc while running in Windows. If you run Apple Software Update IN WINDOWS, it will update to the latest version in the 2.x series. The 3.x series is included with Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and works in a similar fashion (you first install it using the system disc while running in Windows) and then later update it to the newest revision using Apple Software Update within Windows.

Reaction score
Boot Camp 2.0 Upgrade to 3.1

Guys, I need help!

I've successfull went through the boot-camp stages and installed win7 ultimate as secondary OS (Primary OS is Snow Leopard 10.6). anyways, I've excidently installed the boot-camp driver for the win 7 from the 10.5 Leopard CD. it all installed well but the trackpad wasn't working properly (right click and scrolling wouldn't work). So I've read that I need to upgrade to 3.0, but it wouldn't un-install or upgrade directly to 3.0, So I forced removed the boot-camp driver, including all the extensions on the add/remove programs and removed any field in the registery with boot camp mentioned. Now I'm pretty stuck, boot camp driver 2.0 wouldn't un-install and I the 3.0 Boot-Camp get error messages.

Other than re-installing the whole win7 OS, is there anything I can do?

Many thanks.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guys, I need help!

I've successfull went through the boot-camp stages and installed win7 ultimate as secondary OS (Primary OS is Snow Leopard 10.6). anyways, I've excidently installed the boot-camp driver for the win 7 from the 10.5 Leopard CD. it all installed well but the trackpad wasn't working properly (right click and scrolling wouldn't work). So I've read that I need to upgrade to 3.0, but it wouldn't un-install or upgrade directly to 3.0, So I forced removed the boot-camp driver, including all the extensions on the add/remove programs and removed any field in the registery with boot camp mentioned. Now I'm pretty stuck, boot camp driver 2.0 wouldn't un-install and I the 3.0 Boot-Camp get error messages.

Other than re-installing the whole win7 OS, is there anything I can do?

Many thanks.

Why did you install the Boot Camp drivers from the 10.5 disc?

I would run the Boot Camp Assistant and restore to a single partition. After it's done, run it again and start all over.

This time, use the Snow Leopard disc to install your drivers. When finished, before you start testing things, immediately run the Apple Software Update within Windows. That will pull down the latest version of Boot Camp 3.x and get you up to date.

That's all there is to it.

Reaction score
Thx CWA107

Thanks, I've reinstalled everything and it's now working properly. many thanks for your prompt help.

Another quick question, I'm using the white 13" macbook, during installation of the boot camp driver I got a message saying that the graphic drivers didn't install properly and that I will need to manually install them. So, I've installed the ATI driver, I'm wondering whether I should also install the NVidia drivers as well, and if so, which specific driver, I can't see a win 7 specific driver..

Thanks.

Reaction score
Boot to disk in Bootcamp

I've got windows xp installed in bootcamp. I'm trying to upgrade to windows 7. Unfortunately, windows 7 upgrades from xp requires that the computer boot directly to the install disk. Is there a key I can push to get my mac to boot directly to the disk? I'm using a pc keyboard rather than the one that came with my mac pro.

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reaction score
singular partition for vmware and bootcamp

Hello, I currently have VMware fusion running on my macbook but the performance is hindered a lot while running windows xp. I was wondering (since i have software and setting on my vmware partition) if I could use the same partition used by vmware to also boot in bootcamp. So that it is essentially the same on either program. Thanks :Smirk:

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
VMWare does not use a partition. So no, Bootcamp will not boot the copy of windows that sits in VMWare.

You can however install Windows in Bootcamp and VMWare will boot that copy of Windows.

Reaction score
urgent assistance required.

:\Hi guys,
I feel I've made a big error here. I bought a hi spec macbook pro last year and have installed windows xp through bootcamp having given it a good partition. Now though when I reboot it goes straight windows and no mac OS appears what so ever. Please help this is quite stressful. I need my mac back and will wipe windows altogether if need be..it's not that important to have it on there..just thought it would be good to run the occassional app

Many thanks
Sean

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Reboot and hold down the Option key. This will bring up the screen to either boot from OSX or Windows. If Windows just shows up, then you erased the OSX partition when you added WinXP over it. :Oops:

Reaction score
I would also add that BEFORE you even think about installing Windows, be it though Boot Camp, Parallels or whatever... that you take the time to evaluate why you need Windows on your Mac in the first place.

Don't make installing Windows a top priority... especially when you don't even have a Mac yet. Take the time to learn OS X first.
I would wait at least a month before even considering a Windows install.

More often than not, you will be able to find software or other methods to achieve the result you were planning on using Windows to attain. This would negate the need for a Windows install period.

If you only need Windows for "one thing", and you already have a working Windows machine, then there is no need to install Windows on your Mac.
That "one thing" could potentially eat up a huge amount of space and resources on your Mac.

I agree with this. Before I got my Macbook Pro, I was thinking and preparing to install Windows after I get my Mac. After using mac for 6 months without actually installing Windows. I have learned so much good things in the Mac OSX. And don't find it necessary to install Windows anymore. Exactly my thoughts now, if you install Windows for 1 thing, it's going to waste so much space and resources.

Reaction score
I just installed Windows 7 on my new MBP, Core i5, and I can't connect to my wireless network at home on the Windows partition. I installed all of the Bootcamp drivers from the OSX DVD. Everything works fine except for the wireless connection. My MBP, iPad and iphone as well as my HP laptop connect to my wireless network.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just installed Windows 7 on my new MBP, Core i5, and I can't connect to my wireless network at home on the Windows partition. I installed all of the Bootcamp drivers from the OSX DVD. Everything works fine except for the wireless connection. My MBP, iPad and iphone as well as my HP laptop connect to my wireless network.

Open Apple Software Update in Windows 7 from the Start Menu. Allow ASU to install the latest Boot Camp drivers and see if the trouble persists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.